Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is C++ is good for game developing? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlone

Programmer
May 20, 2001
US
Hi,

I'm a perl programmer and i'm trying to learn C++. But my main goal is to learn how to create windows based games and games for other systems like Nintendo, Sega. Does C++ let you make games/programs for those? Thanks for your time. ----------------------------------------
There is no Knowledge, That is not power.

E-mail: projectnet01@yahoo.com
School: Coral Springs High School (Company:(not done yet) :)
NoteMy ISP is down and not accepting any emails.
-Aaron
--------------------------------

A lot of games are written in C++. About a year ago I interviewed with a company who made games for EA and all their code was being done in C++. C++ is a powerful language and I would guess that most games are written in it for it's speed and efficiency. However this is just speculation.

Matt

Thanks a lot. There is no Knowledge, That is not power.
School: Coral Springs High (Company:(not done yet) :)
-Aaron

Yeah, if you want to write games... it's C and/or C++. You'll need to learn C with Windows API and DirectX -- just buy all of Andre LaMothe's books and you'll be set. Rob Marriott

I also recommend that you get a copy of Microsoft's Visual C++. Rob Marriott

How much does visual C++ cost? Is there any freeware version? Also I heard that visual C++ makes lot of folders everywhere whether you like it or not. Is that true? There is no Knowledge, That is not power.
-Aaron

A few years back, I bought the Learning Edition of C++ for $100. Tell your parents it is for school and see if they will help you pay for it :)

Matt

Does it come with the visual C++ package? :) There is no Knowledge, That is not power.
-Aaron

I'm not sure what you mean by allot of folders... that's kind of unimportant. Microsoft Visual C++ is a powerful IDE/compiler that comes in various editions i.e. learning, standard, professional, and enterprise. You can use any of these versions to develop a game with DirectX. You don't even need to purchase version 6. Version 4 Standard edition worked quite well for me before I purchase Visual Studio 6 Enterprise. The "Visual" part won't be of any interest to you. So in essence, you need a C or C++ compiler and could use either Borland or Microsoft. I just prefer Visual Studio (Microsoft's compilers) -- not to mention that DirectX is Microsoft's technology. I would stick to either Borland or Microsoft because I'm not sure if those freeware GNU compilers can work with DirectX. You could pay anywhere from $50-400 US for a compiler depending on the brand and version. Since you're a student, you could buy academic (cheaper). Rob Marriott

Thanks a lot! There is no Knowledge, That is not power.
-Aaron

You can also get Academic version of Professional (not Learning, real thing!!!!!) Edition of Visual C++ on for $99.95 (normally cost $400-$500). Just fax them a copy of your student ID.

Some schools also package C++ with the text books that they use to teach it. Check College book stores. I got Visual C++ and a text book for less than $100 Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back