Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Arcserve2000 a Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfinley

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
US
I'm begining to think AS2K is a virus it is without a doubt the most unstable application that I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

It is a virus.
I have work with Arcserve since 1994. There have always been problem.
Like my last error today.
When trying to restore a file I cant see the file in session or tree view but I can see it in the database.
We are planing to migrate to Legato Networker.
Good luck with Arcserve support I never got any help from that support organisation.

Trex2

I work in a company that runs Arcserve 7 for NetWare on over 150 servers. Barring the odd problemette, we have configured it correctly and it works ok.

I repeat, we have configured it correctly and it works ok. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Jim I will send you an email on all the problems that I've had. It is configured correctly.

Arcserve for Netware seems to work better. That is my experience. When we have Netware servers it almost all the time worked fine but Arcserve for WinNT and Win2000 servers mess it up.

Trex2

Trex2, once you go-live with Legato, I'd be interested in hearing how the transition goes and what you think about their product. I'm on AS6.61 for NT and we'll need some new functionality soon (i.e Active Directory). I feel sick when I think about throwing out the cash to upgrade to AS2K when I know what we'd be getting into (i.e. it's a Virus).

Maybe you could post a new topic marked as a Tip (lightbulb) instead of as a question.

Our biggest problem is that nobody makes an outstanding backup product for NT. Our AS/400 backups do all kinds of wicked things and so did a Unix piece I used to work with. One thing that I love about those is SQL restores at the TABLE level instead of the whole friggin' Database. And, oh yeah, THEY WORK WHEN YOU NEED THEM!!!!!

To Jim's credit, he's a lone voice of helpfulness at CA.

Thanks for the previous help, but I still think the product is lousy. Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

Definately a virus...

Can not even remotely remember all the problems we've had in two years or so I have fought with AS 6.61/2000/NW6.6/NW7. Ditched the NW version as it was horrible in heterogeneous enviroments. With AS2000 simple NT/2000 to NT/2000 backups work fine and dandy. After fighting with the about 4 versions of the ancient Netware agent, backups work okay but restoring another issue. IPX used to be a quick fix but of course SP3 broke IPX so now I have to make 20 changes to a server, shut-off Nagle Algorithm to get a decent restore speeds using TCP, what other program do you have to shut off Ack handling to get decent performance? Corrupt job queues a plenty, there has to be atleast 3 queue problems on the top two pages here alone. Service packs that break major stuff. Likes to corrupt SDLT tapes. Horrible support. The only company were when a CA Rep asked me what I thought of Arcserve and I told him I thought it sucked he replied "yes we know we have problems with that", well if you know then fix them!! Do your self a favor and buy something else, unfortunately my boss didn't. Hopefully funding will come this year to get something else.
Regards,
Theres a pattern above.

One person loves ARCserve for NW, and the other absolutely hate it, yet others like ARCserve for NT, and the other absolutely hate it.

Truth of the matter.

ARCserve for NW - If you know what your doing, then it's stable and works. (Mr. Nagle Algorithm, just restore using IPX. It's on a novell tech doc about the bagle algorithm, it's not arcserve's fault.)

ARCserve for NT - Once again if you know what your doing it is stable and works.

The thing I like so much about ARCserve is that it's functionality is HUGE. I can do anything with it, set up a job to kick off if one fails, even on another server! If a tape drive fails during the backup, the job automatically resubmits to a server that working! With so much functionality, you have to know what your doing.

But hey, if you want to backup a file, and restore a file. NT backup is for you.

I have found ARCserve can do almost anything. Fail over jobs on a cluster, submit jobs remotely on other servers, huge management strangths. I just haven't found that with net backup, or backup exec (nt backup heavy).

There is no problem for ARcserve I have not been able to work through. 95% of the time its my fault, or hardware error, the other 5% has patches released as the bugs are realised.

g

Hi TheLad.

Please share with me the correct configuration for Arcserve 7 for Netware (and the NwAgent 7). I would truly like to be able to restore files from my sys volume where the NwAgent is applied.

I have to agree with ARCServeGuru about the functionality of ARCserve. I tried Backup Exec (during an "i've had it with CA" moment) and found that ARCserve is, in many ways, a superior product. BUT, it's like "the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead. When she's good, she's really, really good. When she's bad, she's horrid."

I work at the support for CA - Arcserve and few a different one. If the administrators to begin would read then would have it only half so many problems. And, if you like to work with Legato "ok" have you a notion which legato costs contrary to Arcserve. Do you have seen the FAQ from Legato??? I think every Backup software have any problems but there is humans that to serve always also still it tried.

I agree that most time it is in the reading, where one can find the problem. My problem is where to find the material to read. There are books on Arcserver 2000 that I can find.

Hey,

The good thing about a product such as ARCServe is that it brings all us happy people together.

I am surprised that no-one gave the licensing method a good "tongue lashing" though, it certainly deserves one.

No Pain No Gain

WOW, I never thought this post would get such a response!

mfinley,

I am not sure if you sent me your information yet. Please send other the infomation again if you have. Let me know if you still need help.

Regards,

Jim Harrison

While I agree AS can be a powerful system I totally disagree with "if you know what your doing it is stable and works." The problems I have with Arcserve aren't due to the fact of the power/complexity of the software nor simple misconfiguration issues. Corrupt Job queues are not my fault. Also it should be an relatively easy fix on CA's end to solve the IP restore issue, most newer programs don't have any issues with Novell's IP stack optimizations so it should be a CA side issue to fix. IPX was an easy work around but CA not I broke that with SP3+. Better handling/speed between Innoculan for Netware and the NWagent should exist so AS can get decent backup speeds, for now I have to shut off outgoing virus scanning and that is my latest recommendation from CA. CA also has an interesting track record of pulling patches/features which is a tad annoying and makes you question the QA of the software you put a lot of trust in(The previous Nwagent, SP4, including then pulling as400 agent support come to quick mind).

Am honestly glad to finally see a new official version of Nwagent and they are giving it a little more priority. I am really happy to see some CA people here taking a more active role here and their help is great to see. Just my thoughts, for most people and routine backups Arcserve is just too much of a headache, though I hope that changes.
Regards,
Mike

Hi mfinley. Here's why this post is getting such a great response..... it's got a catchy thread title. Comparing ARCserve to a virus had me laughing 'til I cried. (Even while I'm still dealing with the headaches it gives me.) <grin>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back