Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Apple or PC better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

honce

Programmer
Jul 17, 2001
US
What platform are most Director developers using. And why? I am a new to director and need to convince my employers to buy me whatever equipment will work best and get the job done.

Thanks

the is no correct answer, whatever you like best. I use a PC because it is lower cost, just as fast, better supported, is the platform most end users have, and I can use it for visual basic as well.
If you clients are going to be on PC go the PC way as you can only make PC projectors on a PC and Mac projectors on a Mac (and need a copy Director for that platform as well).

"What platform are most Director developers using. And why?"
Most Director developers use the Windows platform for the simple reason that Windows is the most used platform worldwide.
But for using Director it doesn't matter, software technically speaking.
Director was originally written by Macromedia for the Macintosh platform.
In the early and first versions of Director you could choose what kind of projector you wanted to create: a Mac projector or a Windows projector.
I think, when I'm not mistaking, Macromedia stopped doing that when they reached version 4 of Director.
Easily understood, because now developers who wanted to
create Director applications for both platforms had to buy two versions!
It's all about the money in the end!
But thank God open Director files are still very compatible between Windows and Mac and you don't have to rewrite the whole application when developing for both platforms.
I'm a professional MultiMedia-programmer and I use Director almost on a daily basis.
I use both systems and I must say I prefer the Macintosh platform.
And to be honest, that has nothing to do with Director!
Director is Director, no matter what platform.
It are the different parts of MultiMedia that Apple handles better.
MultiMedia is called MultiMedia 'cause it uses various kinds of elements like sound and video. When talking video and Director, we're mostly talking QuickTime and QuickTime is, as we all know, developed by Apple.
Director on a Macintosh platform handles video far better than on a Windows platform.
You've got more control over your elements.
Take it from me, I work with both platforms and I've experienced all the pittfalls and bugs over the years!
But there's so much more to it, way more than I can get into right now.
It all depends on what you gonna do with Director.
Do your applications use a lot of video and sound or are they just better looking PowerPoints???
Bottomline: it's just a lot easier to create and edit different elements of MultiMedia in a Macintosh environment.
I can assure you this; an extensive project using a lot of video and sound takes a whole lot less time when created on a Mac, especially when you've got an up-to-date G4 model.
And true, there's always the aspect of cost.
Apple is the far more expensive computer but you can easily win those costs back when saving a lot of time.
And I have to totally disagree with my programming colleague above that PC's are better supported.
What's he talking about then? What kind of support?
Windows support or Macromedia support?
When buying a Macromedia product you get excellent support no matter what platform you're using.
So when you'll be using Director to create applications for both platforms you'll have to get two versions to create the different projectors.
But when programming, creating and editing MultiMedia I'd most definitely recommend Apple.

Now wasn't THAT nicely put???

Marcus
Professional MultiMedia programmer from The Netherlands

I'm a professional multimedia developer/designer in the middle east, I have to say that I am emotionally attached to the mac, moreover I was repeatedly disapointed each time I worked on the pc.
but like some of you had said, most of the end users use an Ibm,
and believe me, I still find very confusing the movie file types supported by each platform, for while the mac supports quicktime most, windows based application prefers windows media player, can you tell me what to do in this case mr M@arcus ? (converting quictime to windows ? )

I find easiest to stick to mov format and get end users on PCs to install Quicktime on their machines
Don't know exactly why but have preferred quicktime all along, seems to handle better in Director than more traditional windows formats (.avi/.mpeg)
Marcus - always healthy to generate discussion about this age old question, and yes, nicely put

Well Aboustayyef (which is a pretty cool name!)
Both platforms support just about every movie file type there is.
It's all about using Xtra's.
For MPEG I personally use Visible Light's OnStage which is a darn good Xtra!
And like PDT says, using QuickTime on a Windows platform shouldn't be a problem when the end users got QuickTime installed and you can always add a free installer on your disc. No need to convert to the less controlable .AVI-format. Please don't!
The main advantage of using MPEG instead of QuickTime is the compression. Smaller files with excellent quality, depending on your encoder ofcourse! Astarte MPack is probably the very best MPEG-encoder around.
And oh yeah, Mac-users are always emotionally more attached to their computer! :)

How stable is the director app after using an Xtra for MPEG support? OH, and one thing i did learn the hard way. Quicktime does work differently on Mac than PC. Director will not recognize que point made with the PC version of Quicktime. So i am told it will only work with the Mac made quicktime que points. You have to love compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back