Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is anyone using the MMC SnapIn-Designer for VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveblum

Programmer
Aug 6, 1999
US
Visit site
I'm starting a project where I'm build an MMC SnapIn using the new VB SnapIn-Designer released in the new SDK-Platform earlier this year.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is the first time you can make a SnapIn using VB; previously you had to use C.<br><br>Here is a link to a related article, if anyone is interested in more information:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> am wonder if anyone else is using this SnapIn-Designer yet.&nbsp;&nbsp;In talking to Microsoft, they do not yet know if it is going to be a part of the base product in VB7.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am hoping it won't just &quot;go away&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;One encouraging thing is that Microsoft used it to build the latest MSMQ manager and for something having to do with WebTV.<br><br>Let me know if you are using it and if so what you think.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is a little buggy in it's interface (like any 1.0 product), but seems OK overall.

steve,

like you I am using the MMC Snap-In Designer for VB. Unfortunately, with the exceptions of those provided by Microsoft, I have been unable to find any code samples. Would you be willing to provide me with some samples of the work you've done? I would certainly return the favor.

Thanks,

Dave Caves
Open Systems Group
Irving, TX

Dave,

Sorry to take so long getting back. Anyway, I've done one very large project as a VB Snap-In. Unfortunately, I can't really send you any samples because that one project is the administrator for a large software product we have that I re-wrote. Since it is a part of a $20K plus application, I can't send out any source code for it. And I haven't really done anything else.

What I did find though was that Microsoft has a couple people that are fairly knowledgable on the designer. I used a couple MSDN support calls to have them help me trouble-shoot the toughest problems I had, and they got me past my issues.

Good luck with your project.

Steve Blum
Honeywell PAI

I just read your comments about the VB Snapin designer. I just started using it, and am looking for information on checking the version of the MMC that is installed or to see if it is not installed on the current machine. Would you have any info on this by chance? Once I got a handle on how things worked with the MMC snapin, everything went pretty smoothly.

Jim
Senior Software Engineer
PACEL Corp., Inc.
Manassas, Virginia

Jim,

What I did was I just included the MMC 1.2 installation program (IMMC.EXE) in my Install Shield setup. It runs at the end of everything else. If it finds MMC 1.2 or newer on the machine, it will just exit out of the installation, otherwise it installs 1.2.

Steve

After researching this a little more, I decided to do something similar to what you suggest. However, I'm curious.. how did you go about checking the version of the MMC? I saw mention of using the &quot;VerGetFileVersion&quot; command as below.
nResult = VerGetFileVersion (WINSYSDIR+&quot;mmc.exe&quot;, sVersionNumber);

Did you do a silent install? I was testing the IMMC.exe and saw that the other files there. I was thinking of trying to do something like Setup.exe /Q to do a silent install.

Thanks for any info you can give.. it's greatly appreciated!

Jim

Jim,

I didn't run it silent, since it doesn't have too many windows/questions they have to deal with. The version checking is done by IMMC.exe, so I just let it handle it. If it sees MMC 1.2 or newer, it will quit out of the install early on. So I haven't used the VerGetFileVersion command.

Steve

Does anyone know of any recorces as of yet on crating a snapin in vb? I know this thread is a bit old, but it seems in the vast sea of the internet, this is the lock ness monster. :D

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]
&quot;Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.&quot; ~bumper sticker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back