Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is anyone using an AS400 to connect databases and ASP pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Is anyone using an AS400 to connect databases and ASP pages, if so, what are the steps you need to take to connect through ODBC to the AS400 and will standard ASP pages work? At the moment my asps will "connect" but none of the queries work. I keep getting ODBC connection failed messages which end in code "05" - and as you can imagine the IBM help pages do not help. An access database wil read the AS400 database through the current ODBC albeit with a long delay, but the asps will go no further than connecting.
Help! Please! [sig][/sig]

I'm currently trying to do the same thing. For some reason it works fine on my 95 machine running PWS (Personal Web Services) but not on a Windows2000 with IIS5.
If you've recevied any helpful replies, please let me know. I've been working on this project for nearly two weeks and I'm almost out of options. Please reply.

Thanks alot.

If you are trying to connect to those production library files, you need to use client access driver (ODBC) and specify your AS400 id and password.

To connect to normal database file (which is created by queries), I believe you can do it by creating normal DSN through ODBC.

Hope it helps.

I am connecting to an AS400 through a Client Access ODBC connection and creating some reports in ASP. This is my connection string:

conStr = "Driver={Client Access ODBC Driver (32-bit)};System=[xxxDSN-Namexxx];Uid=[xxx];Pwd=[xxx]"

oConn.open conStr

That's pretty much it. Hope that helps

We have already done this successfully. However, we are using PHP instead of VBScript for the Web pages, and ADODB360 for host access. It should work equally well with the MS stuff, however, please be sure to:

1.- Use the Client Access Express ODBC driver
2.- Apply the latest fixes to Client Access Express (you may find them at ftp.software.ibm.com/as400/clientaccess).
3.- Define the ODBC driver through a SYSTEM DSN (not a User DSN).
4.- Define one ODBC driver per library accessed (this can be defined in the second tab in the driver screen)

If you do it this way, ADO should work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back