Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is an autoloader the right choice for small businesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tray0011

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2006
US
Hi Guys,

My company is currently backing up about 100GB of data every night, full backups of a few databases and our file server (using Backupexec 10d). Obviously I can fit that onto one LTO3 cartridge, and my data isn't growing that quickly.

We are using a 16 tape autoloader. Every morning we take out the last nights tape offsite, and put it back in after 2 weeks, so 5 tapes a week for a 3 week rotation (15 tapes in total) and there is always between 6 and 10 tapes in the autoloader. I made 15 partitions and 21 backup jobs. 7 jobs per week. Fri,Sat, and Sun, are backed up to the same tape.

What is the main purpose of an autloader anyways that makes it so attractive - don't big companys take thier tapes offsite anyways. The only benefit I can is if one tape is not large enough, so it can span multiple tapes.

I don't see any major benefit to having an autoloader and rather a single slot tape drive would probably make more sense. Can you help me justify my purchase for my company and myself. Can you find some benefits that I will gain from having this?

Thanks,
Tray

In your case, the autoloader was overkill. The main advantage of the autoloader is when the job won't fit on one tape, it will load up the next one.

I backup close to 400GB now, but I have an Overland LoaderXpress because in a few months when I surpass the tape capacity, I just adjust the jobs slightly to use more tapes and I'm good to go. In your case, with the limited amount of data you're backing up and the lack of it growing very fast, a single LTO3 drive would probably have been better and cheaper.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

Davetoo,

Thanks for the feedback - unfortunately thats what I figured.

Does anybody have anything hopeful suggestions for me to offer - maybe something creative that can be done with this that would be beneficial to us?

Thanks,
Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back