Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a Style Sheet Needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjonnnn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
US
My web site has about 15 pages at this point. Each page is designed with a table. The header is the top cell, the links for the site are in a side column cell and page information changes in each page in the middle cell.

Now my question is... the site was originally done in Frontpage 2000 and I am now learning and redoing it in dreamweaver 4. Whenever I needed to make a change in the header or links column I needed to do it on each table on each page. In dreamweaver, is there a way (other than frames) that I can make a correction or add a link on one page and automatically have it made throughout the site, as i expect to be added a lot more pages this year.

Yes.

Dreamweaver 3 and 4 support the ability to create page templates. Any page saved as a template must have editable and non-editable regions. You can do this by selecting a region or table column/row/cell (or some combination) and by going into the Modify|Templates menu select "Make editable"

When you create a new web page based on a template, you would select File|New From template, select the template and create the rest of the page using the editble areas.

In the furture, if you wish to make changes to the menu or other non-editable areas, open the template, make your changes and save the template. When you do so, Dreamweaver will ask if you want to update the pages associated with the template. Answe "Yes" and all of your web pages will be updated with the changes.

This is a powerful feature.

Dennis
Dennis Hays Information Design

Hello Kjonnnn!

I just want to add to what DHays said.
Don't forget about another greate DW feature - Find and Replace. It really helps in many cases, even in those when templates cann't help. Usual function you may say - most programs dealing with text (and not only) has it. Right, but comparely to most programs DW's Find and Replace lets you search and replace not only in this document|window, but in "Entire Local Site", "Selected Files in Site" and "Selected Folder". Try it. It helped me thousand times.

So when you need to change all headers in your site:
1) select in Source Code the code you want to change;
2) press CONTRL + F or right-click the mouse and choose "Find and Replace" or go to menu Edit > Find and Replace;
3) your selected code has already appered in "Search for" field (Don't forget to choose "Source Code" from the dropdown menu). Type what you need in the "Replace With";
4) press "Find All" to see what documents and where exactly have similar text;
5) in the lower field that has results of the search double click on first item;
6) see if this is what you really want to change, press "Replace";
7) continue with steps 5-6 with other items;

Use it, it's very helpful feature!

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back