Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a STK L40 any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny99

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
DK
I have to replace a small robot in our office in China and I am currently looking at a used STK L40.

Before we buy it I would like to ask if anyone has something good and/or bad to say about this robot.

If we buy it, it will be with one LTO1 drive.

It is going to replace a 8 slot Dell robot that is using DLT so the L40 is much more then we need.

We will use NBU 5.1

/johnny

Have you looked into buying a Storagetek L20 if the L40 is bigger than you need? Both are good libraries. Whatever you buy, make sure both the library and tape drive have the newest firmware installed.

Tim

L20 would be fine, but I have to pay almost the same for a used L20 as a used L40.
So I will go for the L40. Only thing I am thinking about is if I should buy it with one or two drives

/johnny

Two drives give give you a hot spare if you configure for only one drive...Good idea to have a live spare on site. If you have a drive problem, switch to the second drive while you resolve the problem with the first drive.

Tim

Hi Johnny,

Maybe it is too late but the only thing I will say here is if you go ahead and buy this L40 library you shall be aware that it is very hard to get parts and upgrades for these libraries due to they are very scarce at the market.

KR, Jens.

That is an absolute false statement. I have personally installed more than 200 of the L40 libraries in NC over the last 18 months.

The L40 is a very good and reliable tape library.

i've installed dozens of these libraries and maintain them as well. the spit out accurate error codes 99% of the time and as long as you have a service contract i don't think parts will be hard to find at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back