Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a Nortel 2245 required to use the 6140 handset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spivy122

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
US
We are wanting to use the Nortel 6140 Handsets. Do we have to purchase the Nortel 2245 in order to use the wlan handsets? We have a Cisco Wireless infrastructure.

I have the Sig Server and a vgmc running release 4.5. What purpose does the 2245 serve? Our wireless lan natively supports 802.11e so I am not sure what the purpose is of the 2245?

It is the server that runs the Wlan phones.

The Nortel WLAN wireless telephone network consists of the following
components:
• Call Server
• DHCP server
• Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server
• Firewall
• Nortel WLAN Handset 2210, Nortel WLAN Handset 2211 and Nortel
WLAN Handset 2212
• Nortel WLAN IP Telephony Manager 2245
• Nortel WLAN Application Gateway 2246 (optional)
• Access Point (AP) — one or more as required by the site

The WLAN IP Telephony Manager 2245 is a device that manages IP telephony network traffic on the WLAN system.

This from Nortel's website:

The WLAN IP Telephony Manager 2245 is required for QoS because the current IEEE 802.11b standard provides no mechanism for differentiating audio packets from data packets.
The new standard being developed by IEEE (802.11e) will provide all the functionality of the IP Telephony Manager 2245, thus ensuring high-quality voice in a mixed client environment.
Once 802.11e is ratified, Nortel will adopt the new specification.

802.11e was ratified in September of 2005. When is Nortel going to adopt this standard so that I don't have to purchase the 2245?

here's the number to Nortel 1-800-4NORTEL - ask them

Like I said , check out they make the stuff for NORTEL.

As to your original question, maybe you should have asked "Why is the 2245 still required for WLAN 6140 handsets" and quoting the link you provided later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back