Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is a JOIN between text file and table possible 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoAlertcom

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2002
US
Hello,

Is it possible to use a text file in a JOIN with a table as I would between two tables?

For example if I have:

1. a text file c:\cust_phone.txt that contains 1 phone number per line.

2. a table that has a phone number column.

what we're using is something like this currently:

I import a specific list of phone numbers into dbo.suppression.Phone with a ListID that will show all these phone numbers as being apart of the same list.

Code:
select *
From dbo.Customers
LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.ExCustomers
ON dbo.Customers.Phone = dbo.Suppression.Phone
and dbo.Suppression.ListID = 5
WHERE dbo.suppression.Phone IS NULL

My goal would be for me to not to have to import this list anymore into sql server. and have the users put the list in a directory on the server and use that in the query.

Thank you for the help.

Regards,
Steve

Yes, it's possible.

Take a look at this thread where an excel spreadsheet was used. thread183-1290354

Also take a look at because instead of Excel, you want to use a 'text' driver.

Give this a shot. If you run in to any problems, post back here with followup questions.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Hello,

Here is how far I've been able to come. But I am getting an error that I can't figure out where to go from.

Also, since the text files will always only have 1 column. How would I change the code to reflect that there isn't a header? I know I have to change HDR=Yes to HDR=No but in the ON dbo.Addresses2.Phone = OpenDataSource.Phone how do i change the fact that there isn't a column name for the text file?

Code:
SELECT *
FROM dbo.Customers
LEFT OUTER JOIN OpenDataSource('Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0','Date Source="c:\supplists\list1.txt";Extended Properties="text;HDR=Yes;FMT=Delimited"')
ON dbo.Addresses2.Phone = OpenDataSource.Phone
WHERE dbo.suppression.Phone IS NULL

Here is the error I'm getting:

Server: Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 12
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'ON'.

Thank you for your help.

Steve

I haven't worked with this feature before, but shouldn't

'Date Source

read

'Data Source

Also, I think you could refer to your column in the text file by number (if it's 20 then [Col020] to make up for the fact that there isn't a header/column name.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Professor: But what about your superintelligence?
Gunther: When I had that there was too much pressure to use it. All I want out of life is to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit. That's why I've decided to transfer to Business School.
Professor: NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

As an alternative... You could create a temp table, load the data from the file, and then use the temp table.

Code:
Create Table #Temp(Phone VarChar(50))

Bulk Insert #Temp From 'c:\supplists\list1.txt'

SELECT *
FROM   dbo.Customers
       LEFT OUTER JOIN #Temp
         ON dbo.Customers.Phone = #Temp.Phone

-George

Thank you for catching the typo. Yes it should be Data Source. The typo was when i typed it into tek-tips. In query analyzer I have it spelled correctly. So the fact that it doesn't run is still an open issue. But good eye :).

Once I have the error fixed and the query runs I will give the Col001 a try. thank you.

Regards,
Steve

Hi George. This is Steve. My EchoAlertcom handle isn't working all of a sudden. I've emailed them but I need to keep convervasation going in the mean time.

I like the first approach better for how we're doing things. So if we can stay with that way I would be greatful.

I am getting that same error. Do you have any suggestions?

I would think a connection string for a text file would be easier than Excel. LOL, but i am stuck in trying to figure out what is wrong.

Warmest Regards,
Steve

Have you tried the Bulk Insert method?

-George

No, I haven't tried. My concern is that they run this in a 3rd party program. They are given a textbox to put their query. I'm not sure how that application will deal with something that is not a select statement.

I am pretty focused on getting it working this way to get people off my back. I can then take time to experiment with the bulk insert.

I am usually eager for trying different suggestions to find the best. But I'm under pressure on this one.

Regards,
Steve

I learned a little since my previous post. [smile]

First, I recommend you create a schema.ini file. Use notepad to do this and place the file in to the same folder as your data file. For your case, the schema.ini file should look like this...

Code:
[list1.txt]
ColNameHeader=False
CharacterSet=1252
Format=CSVDelimited
Col1=PhoneNumber Text

When opening the data source, SQL Server will use the schema.ini file to get additional information. In this case, ColNameHeader=False and Col1=PhoneNumber will indicate that there is no header row and that the first column should be named 'PhoneNumber'.

Then, your query would be...

Code:
SELECT *
FROM OpenDataSource('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0','Data Source="c:\supplists\";Extended Properties="text"')...[list1#txt]

If you want to join other tables to this...

Code:
SELECT A.PhoneNumber
FROM   OpenDataSource('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0','Data Source="c:\supplists\";Extended Properties="text"')...[list1#txt] As A
       Inner Join OtherTable
         On A.PhoneNumber = OtherTable.PhoneNumber

-George

Ah YES!!!!

That worked like a charm!!!!!

George, Thank you very much for your help through this. I appreciate it very much.

Warmest Regards,
Steve

No problem. I learned something too.

Just curious... why the 'name' change? You started off as EchoAlertcom and then changed to 360degreehosting.

-George

I was in the middle of responding to your question about the alternative method and when I clicked Submit Post the page redirected to an tek-tips administrative page saying there are issues with my account or something. I've been using tek-tips for 4-5 years without any issue so I'm not sure what happened. I've emailed them and asked what happened. But in the meantime I had to keep the dialog going. I did notice (for me anyway) earlier today tek-tips web site was going up and down. That may have had something to do with it.

Thanks for your help. I'm glad you learned something too. That's why I love this business - there is always something new to learn or figure out.

Regards,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back