Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is A+ and Network+ worth anything besides.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocker

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
Ok, besides being an elective for MCSA, is A+ and Network+ worth anything else? I mean, I have A+ and Net+, and I'm discovering that someof the test stuff on the Net+ is on the 70-210 exam, which is good, but those are the only 2 reasons I can see for A+-Net+. Meybe I just don't see it.

Your A+ and Network+ also count towards ETA-I Certs... well, they actualy earn you the certs.

Judging the value of what you learned in achiving the A+ and Network+ is impossible for anyone but yourself.

The peices of paper you recive may make you feel like you have achived something and might also help you in the search for a job, the the true value to any certificate, degree, or other reward is the knowledge, skills, and abilites you devloped while working towards your goal.

In the case of certificates the journey is worth far more to me than the certificate. I have a degree from a college in Colorado, dated 25 years before I was born... It has a huge sentimental value to me, but I didn't learn any thing in obtaining it (besides where my Grandfather (who has the same name as I do) went to college...

If you feel that the certs are of no value to you, then that is what they are, just a couple of peices of paper that earn you nothing.

If you want to know if they will help you find a job, probably not, but again, nothing can be set in stone.

Knowledge is a gift, the certificates just remind you of that. CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Well put. Another thing you have to think about is what you like to do. Do you like to work with Microsoft or would you rather be working on UNIX systems? Same goes with the networks (although once you learn the fundamentals of networking you can easily figure out how to use all the different routers)

Certifications definetly help you get jobs nowadays. Your resume generally gets handed to the HR department to some non-tech person who is told to look for MCSE, CCNA, Solaris Cert, etc. My personal opinion is that certifications have turned into cash cows for all the big companies. I have yet to see an MCSE fresh out of a program who can actually do his/herjob (but I'm sure that depends on where they got their training!)

In the end it's all up to what you will like!

falban, it also depends on the job... ;-) JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

I got my A+ in late 1997, and it was basically worthless. That was when things were supposed to be good.

Chris

Hi all,
Thanks for all those great posts.

I have been a consultant/sales support engineer for 23 years. Oct. 2001, I was laid off. Since that time I have been doing contract work, but the pay is no where near where I had been. My background is in telecom/datacom. I spent 17 of my 23 years employed by big blue. I have designed LAN/WAN/VPN networks, traffic sizing, PBX configuration, sales support, customer relations, Internet services, messaging, contact center design and benchmarking, and much more. I just can't seem to find a job.

I was considering getting an A+ cert and starting a sort of onsite computer repair type of business as a part-time way to earn additional income. I do repairs, but don't have the business in place. Just do it by word of mouth and personal networking.

Has any one done this? Any advice? Is this even worth considering?

I have been told by one outfit that provides A+ training and business training, that this is the best way to go, by starting my own business. I'm skeptical.

Thanks for your help.

-Greg
Looking for work in CT, and figuring out what to do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back