Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is 5510 stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLP

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2002
US
I'm looking for user recommendations on the 5510 10/100/1000 switch stack. Are they more stable than our BPS/450 hybrid stacks have been? Sales recommends we go with an 8300 instead for our server room. What do you think?

thanks

-fp

We've got a couple 5510s, and they've worked fine.

As our server population grows I'm thinking about mounting pairs of them in our server racks to aggregate server uplinks back into our 8600 core instead of running every single NIC back to 8648 or 8616 blades so I'd be interested in peoples opinions as well.

5510's are stable...if you do a few things.

Fun 4.0 code at all costs. Earlier version were very buggy. We had 8 CR's open with Nortel at one point on these things. All were resolved in 4.0.

If you want 1000->100 or 1000->10 to work fine with large TCP window sizes, you will need to make a couple of adjustments.

After updating to 4.0, and doing a default on the switches with the new code, do the following.

-Go in to the command line interface
-Type the following:
config t
qos agent buffer max
qos agent queue-set 4
end
logout
-Reboot the switch(s)

That will completely resolve these issues.

Another thing to think about is setting spanning tree to fast start if you use it.

And for the love of God...don't ever let a user plug a hard network loop in to these things...they absolutely flip. Don't ask how I know. LOL

But if these are in a controlled environment, and the above settings are made, they should not have any issues.

Note that if you have no need for QoS/diffserv, you can upgrade to 4.0.1, which takes the possible 8 queue-sets down to 2 instead of the 8 that are available with 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back