Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Irritating page 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
Whenever I select a link/graphic on my home page from my service all I get is the source code for their page. What can I tell them to fix this problem? I am new to css and page design but I know this shouldn't be happening.

Any help will be appreciated by all of us. TIA

I do not know. I called them and told them about this forum. I am hoping they will login and give you more info. Thanks.

The only extension I see on the web page is .com

I looked at one of the graphic links and the source code came up again. they are using a css named main, and designed the page with Microsoft FrontPage 4.0.

I hope the owners will login and see what is discussed. Thanks again.

If you can tell us the address of the page containing the link which you are clicking, someone will probably be able to come up with a definitive answer for you...

Regards,

Jon Wilson
Threespot Limited

Sorry mate, looks to me that the problem is on your end..

I cannot find a problem with the site, clicked on a few links and I am not getting the source code or any other problems..

I will have a look again but looks to me that it might be a problem with your browser..

If you can post the exact pages that you are having problems with if this is not one...

Hope this helps Wullie

Same here. I clicked/checked all the links there, and found no problems.

Was there a particular link causing you difficulty, nelljack?

Is it just this web page that causes you problems, or does it happen with others? If it is also others (on different sites) the chances are that there's a problem with your configuration rather than the sites. Regards,

Jon Wilson
Threespot Limited

Hi again,

I have just contacted Netscape and they have sent A VERY PROMPT REPLY!!!(Took about 2 minutes!!) At least they have one thing right... LOL

Here is there reply..

============================================================

Your asp pages are being reported as text/plain. This does not effect IE since it sniffs content and ignores the content type. However that approach is insecure and Mozilla/Netscape 6 rely on the content type
reported by the web server. Change the content type for your asp pages to be text/html and all will be fine. This can either be done in your web server or in your asp scripts. See Microsoft's documentation for the
details.

Here is the output of headers from one of your asp pages:

input url:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

fully qualified url:

will send these HTTP Request headers:
Accept:
text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,video/x-mng,image/png,image/jpeg,image/gif;q=0.2,text/css,*/*;q=0.1
Accept-Charset: windows-1252, utf-8;q=0.66, *;q=0.66
Accept-Language: en-us
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:0.9.8+)
Gecko/20020213 Netscape6/6.2.1+
Host: ------------------------------------------------------------------------

calling gethostbyname_r() on
succeeded

calling connect()
succeeded

HTTP/1.1 200 OKCRLF
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:54:39 GMTCRLF
Server: Apache/1.3.17 (Unix) PHP/3.0.18 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.0
OpenSSL/0.9.6 CRLF
Last-Modified: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 21:56:54 GMTCRLF
ETag: "40b208-200b-3a807326" CRLF
Accept-Ranges: bytes CRLF
Content-Length: 8203 CRLF
Connection: close CRLF
Content-Type: text/plain CRLF
CRLF
Note the Content-Type: text/plain. This should be text/html to be
properly displayed.

Bob

--
Netscape 6 Technology Evangelists
Netscape Communications
nsdev-feedback@netscape.com

===========================================================

So there is the problem,

Hope this helps Wullie

Thanks for all of your help. My ISP's server has been down for two days so I couldn't do anything. If it is my browser, NS6.2.1, then what do I change to get the page to come up correctly?

I will send a email to the web guy at the site and tell him to check out this thread.

thanks for all of your helps. I hope maybe it's only a config prob in my browser since some of you had no probs.

Hii mate,

It is not your browser, it is the way that they have asp set up on the server.

Internet explorer will overlook the problem but netscape will not (Its more strict when it comes to coding.)

The reason you are seeing the source code is that the server is telling the browser that the content of the page is texp/plain which in turn makes netscape return the code as text instead of processing the code and showing the correct output.

Contact them and tell them to change the mime type on the server for asp from text/plain to text/html.

If they don`t have access to the server config directly then they can contact their host and get them to do it for them.

As mentioned above, they can also change the mime type in the asp pages themselves, but the easiest way to do it would be in the server config and this would save them the hassle of altering every asp that they have on the server.

They do that and all your problems will be solved..

I fthey have any problems, tell them to come help and ask for help.

Hope this helps Wullie

Thanks to you all. I will forward the message. Bye

Hi

I just check the data put up by wullie and saw that the server is running apache with PHP 3 and will not run asp unless it has chillesoft or some compatible server that runs on Unix for asp. ASP is Microsoft tech and will work with out any change on a NT / Win 2k server

But on Unix???? Ask the hosting company whether they are using some think to execute asp on Unix (though I doubt it)

Asp is a server side scripting language and has to be executed on the server before sending HTML data to you browser

I also checked the page with Netscape and could not find any asp code in it (is there any code of asp?)

Hope this helps

Regards Unicorn11
unicorn11@mailcity.com
[red]We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. --- Plato [red]

wether the server in question is a UNIX or NT box runnning whatever it would seem the relevant information is that provided by Wullie that the content type is breaking the page in NS6.

Regardless of server type and the languages used to code the server side scripting the problem can be solved by changing this.

Unicorn 11:

"I also checked the page with Netscape and could not find any asp code in it (is there any code of asp?)"

ASP pages (and the ASP code within them) are parsed by the server hence you will not see any source code for the asp at the client end. All you will ever see is the clientside html/javascript etc code that is sent to the browser.

hope this helps

rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back