Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Irregular reboot issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

biosol

MIS
Mar 12, 2002
US
I've got a specialized software program that captures live video from up to 5 firewire MiniDV camcorders at the same time. I'm running across a problem of the system rebooting when the live feeds remain open for more than a minute or so. Sometimes I get a blue screen, once with a kernal error, once with bad_pool_caller error but most of the time it just reboots. I've contacted the manufacture of software and they say they haven't had this issue before with any of the thousands of installations they've done. I have the software running on:

ECS - PT800CE-A
cpu - Prescott 3.0E
psu - 450W
hdd - 1 x 120gb seagate ATA100
video - Stealth S90 - GeForce FX5200 (I believe)
RAM - 2 x Corsair 512MB DDR400 (have swapped with Mushin without noticable improvement)
Windows XP Pro SP2

I wonder if it's a heat issue? I've dealt with overheating at full cpu on another system, but don't know if that might be it. I have 4 MiniDV cameras hooked up to 4 separate firewire cards. The cpu utilization in the task manager is in the high 90% sometime at 100%. I have tested this now with just 2 cameras and it seems to work fine as the live live ran for 10 minutes without rebooting the system. Does having 3 or 4 cameras place a heavy load on the cpu or the psu?

Also today, I've just put a ThermalRight XP-90 hsf on and will test it with the cameras in the next day or two, but I'm wondering if this new hsf doesn't stop the rebooting what else might it be? Whenever I checked the cpu temp. in the BIOS after rebooting it was in the mid/high 50s C., so I'm not very confident the new hsf will do anything. On also, when I set the cpu affinity to use only one of the two Hyper-Threading cpu's that helped the 4-camera live feeds stay up longer before it rebooted...???

Any ideas?

Thanks.

100% cpu utilization should't crash the system ,however it might be too much for the vid card. (fewer threads easer for vid card to digest) 5200's are fairly cheap some preformace gain by by having 2 or upgrade vid completely
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

good luck

hum, the video card. i had thought about that possibly overheating, but it's possible the video card can't handle the output?

Here's an example of the capturing software module:

Anyone else think it might be the video card? If so, what Nvidia chipset would you suggest?

Thanks

Update:
------------
As it turns out, the new HSF did the trick! 4-camera feed for 20 minutes (twice) without a reboot and when I closed and restarted the machine to check the cpu temp. it was at 36c. The ThermalRight XP-90 (and Artic Silver 5) has now fixed problems on both my 3.2 and this 3.0 prescotts.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back