Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloth8817

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
I get this error ever since I installed my Nvidia Geforce4 mx 440se video card, it occurs during game play, i get the usual blue screen and the above error, then my system restarts. My computer runs fine all the time excpet then when my video card is being used by something such as a game. I have tried the basics, updated drivers uninstall re-install ect. an help appreciated thx

YEs, the moniter SHOULDNT care BUT, this a new game, i only have a 15in moniter, some games require a certain size moniter to run. and I think one of the pins in the connector my video card is broken off.
PS my video card shouldnt care since it is a Geforce4 mmx440 it should be ableto handle any resolution the game wants....

Bad video card drivers could make it not be able to handle anything.

The computer usually has no idea what size the monitor is. Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

true, the computer doesnt know what size the moniter is. I'm saying that my moniter is older and pretty small, some gmaes require a certain size moniter and resolution, maybe my moniter cant get that high of resolution, or it is too small. I almost posative that it isnt the drivers b/c I have dled the latest drivers from Nvidia, so it shouldnt be the drivers =\

As I have mentioned before, one time when I downloaded the latest drivers from somewhere, I had problems because they were badly written or whatever. IT CAN HAPPEN. Do you have a slightly older version of the drivers to try? Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

Well, I have the drivers tha came with the card, but they had the same problem as well, thats why i went to the newest drivers....

Times44,

I did the same thing with the same result. I got back to bootable by using the six diskette booting routine for installation. When I got to the install XP part I got an otion to repair the existing installation. I did that and the PC would boot into XP. Then I had to reinstall all my hardware and a lot of my software. The BSOD at restart and turnoff for IRQ etc. was gone for about five or six shutdowns and restarts. Now it is back full time. I give up. I just hit reset when I get stuck on that screen while trying to reboot. It is too much trouble to try much else. I want to use this PC not fix it. LOL. Anyway try a repair and see what happens. Just trying to avoid the BSOD.

Hi,

I'm a new member, from the Netherlands, so excuse me for my bad language...But I've got a question. I also got the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but I got it after I had removed MSN Messenger Service, the one you automatically get with XP, but I didn't know how to remove it, so I searched for it, and found a link to the website and with the information from that website I removed MSN. After I had removed it, this error came and now my father is very angry with me because of the error and I don't know what to do next. Can anybody help me?!

Ok i just purchased a new computer it has a radeon 9000 pro and 1.6 gig cpu i am getting the same error but it only seems to happen when i am either playing everquest or using something that seems to tax the harddrive. now i did check the irq files like noted and it looks like they are all independent, but the radeon runs on a agp but it says its on a pci does that make a differnce

OK! Learn from my tough luck: Before turning your ACPI PC into Standard PC, make a copy of your folder: C:\windows\system32\config. Then make a bootable disk. If you FCUK UP, like I did, and you PC wouldn't start, use a floppy to boot into DOS, and copy command C:\windows\system32\config from wherever your backup copy is. I did not have to re-insall anything!

Yet a better thought: If anyone has a problem with video card or any other drivers, PLS list here your hardware spex.
I have Radeon VE, and from what I gather, ATI dropped the ball on drivers support for WinXP. Any other known offenders?

Well, My Nvidia geforce4 caused the problem on my machine:
amd athlon 800
160mb ram
Nvidia Geforce4

ever since i got the geforece ive got this error while playing resource heavy games

I hope this helps!!.

My system:
Amd xp1700+
Asus av7s333 mb
256 ddr pc2100 ram
seagate 80gb 7200 rpm IDE
Leadtek gforce4 mx 64mb
soundblaster live

The same problem was present in my new system for several weeks, so I changed everything finally I disabled ACPI from the BIOS and I change my memory module to the second slot.

Problem Solved!!!

Alejandro Rios

Hmmm, interesting how most of us have the same video card Geforce MX 64, i have been warned off these mx video cards in the past and now i can see why. I installed the manufacturers drivers (INNO 3D) and i am getting the IRQ not less or equal message also, i suspect it may either be a driver problem (i have updated all my drivers (downloaded NVIDIA detonator drivers etc) or it could be an IRQ conflict problem, it's seems to happen only when my modem and sound card are in use, it could be that my video card is conflicting with one of them. Anyway i haven't tested my PC since the driver updates so i'll let you know.

TRY DOING A "FIXBOOT" AND "FIXMBR". I HAVE SEVERAL OF THESE CARDS HERE AT WORK AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF THEM. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, JUST DO A REPAIR AND IT SHOULD FIX. ALSO, JUST GET THE LASTEST DRIVERS AS WELL. THERE ARE SOME NEW ONES THAT CAME OUT NOT TOO LONG AGO. JUNE I THINK. LET ME KNOW HOW THAT WORKS.

Thanks for the feedback MUSH - i spent 4 hours on it last night, it's not the video card ( i replaced it with a working card and reinstalled my operating system completely and installed all upto date drivers and i'm still getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and memory management stop errors. I downloaded a program called memtest86 which you copy onto a floppy - it basically provides you with a more powerful memory check than you BIOS POST check provides. It found an error staightway, i'm going to take the stick of RAM back to my supplier (wish me luck). If the problem persists then it must be a problem with my motherboard - i might try lowering my FSB speed or try the memory in a different slot.

Here's my current set up

XP1800
ASROCK K7S8X
Unbranded DDR333 ram
Geforce 440MX SE 64mb

etc...

Well all i can say if you've got this problem get memtest86 - my DDR333 ram failed the test everytime until i reduced the dram frequency down to 266 and it tested ok on every test - just a case of cheap DDR333 ram not capable of running at 333mhz - the brand of the ram is ellxir i think

Over and out - i hope :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back