Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRQ Conflicts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macnavy

MIS
Apr 12, 2000
US
I have a HP Vectra VE that used to have a modem card installed in it.  The previous tech before me removed the modem card and the supporting software.  I now have a label printer hooked up (with supporting software) but I still get an IRQ 04 error stating "Error writing to COM1:".  I have to re-boot to use the label printer. Any ideas?

Do or did you ever have a serial mouse on the PC? If so it may be using COM1, which will effect IRQ4. If no mouse there may be a driver in there for a old serial mouse causing a problem.<br><br>Have you tried uninstalling the COM Ports and reinstalling them?<br><br>Is the printer attached to a serial port or Parallel port?

No serial mouse was ever on it as far as I know.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's hooked to the parallel port as the local default printer.&nbsp;&nbsp;The system is Windows '98 but is hooked up to an NT network.<br>I have uninstalled and re-installed the COM ports but no luck, I'm stumped on this one!&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks in advance for any help!

From the way it is described the previous modem must have been installed as Com1. Which means that possibly Fax software was setup using that port and was set as the default printer.<br><br>If there are any additional printers listed...i.e.- Microsoft Fax or Winfax try removing them or uninstalling that software.<br><br>When trying to print go to the File/Print pull-down menu and see what printer it lists. If it is set to use the deafult printer see if you can select the label printer specifically.<br><br>

The conflict may be imbedded in your mother board. In the device manager remove all card and COM drivers. Remove all cards. In CMOS turn all COM ports off and your lpt1 port as well. save the CMOS settings and turn your machine off. pull out your PC power cord. remove monitor cable from the pc and the power cord from the monitor as well. All sources of power must be removed from your PC.Remove your printer cable as well. remove the CMOS battery and bleed the CMOS on your Mother board (usually a jumper)try bleedingthe CMOS battery over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back