Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRQ Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dziufus

Technical User
Apr 26, 2003
US
I am running W98SE on an AMD KII-350 system. I have installed a new Sound Card and have found that I now have an IRQ conflict that seems to be causing problems. How do I change something's IRQ?

Sometimes you can alter IRQ settings for built in devices in your BIOS. Since this is an add on card, you'll want to change IRQs in Windows. By the way, if you have built in sound in your motherboard, disable it in your CMOS setup (usually tap the delete key when pc boots). This may likely be your problem.

In Device Manager, if you go to the properties of a device, select the resource tab, and then uncheck the automatic settings boxes. The options to change your IRQ and other resources will now be selectable. Write down whatever they are, so if you make a change and reboot, and still have problems, you know what they are to put them back.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Sometimes moving a PCI card to a different slot will change the IRQ.

Uninstall any recently installed Soundcard software, Shutdown, unplug, remove PCI soundcard and reboot....
If conflict is gone.....Shutdown, unplug and install PCI soundcard, plug in, and boot up into CMOS setup...
Disable onboard sound, if any, as was mentioned, then
look for a setting called ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data) and select CLEAR to clear this info then Exit Saving Changes and let it boot. Windows should sort it out.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back