Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRQ Conflict when 1394 Card Added using Win2K 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilinet

MIS
Jun 8, 2001
US
I have a P-III 667 on an Azza 815-EPX mainboard (Award BIOS) with Windows 2000 @ Service Pack 1.
Have successfully installed the AGP card, Sound card, and modem.
However, when the firewire card is added to a PCI slot, the mouse and keyboard freeze while at the Win 2K log-on dialog box (the floppy drive light remains active and the power switch does not respond). I have to reset the computer and quickly perform a shutdown operation before it hangs again in order to power down.
If the card is removed, the system performs without a problem.

If this sounds like an IRQ issue - can someone provide some insight to a work around? My BIOS is currently set to auto-configure the devices.
If an IRQ needs to be assigned do I need to pick a unique IRQ or share it with another device?
How do I choose a valid interrupt for this device?

Is your floppy-cable reversed? It should not stay on no matter what your PCI bus is doing..and it will prevent you from booting Windows properly as well.

It's a simple idea - but it may just work..
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Pbxman,
Thanks for your response. I checked the floppy-cable and it is not reversed (red side towards power connector). I ended up bringing the system up in safe mode and the card was assigned a unique irq and seemed to be content. So I brought the system back up in normal mode and it came up without a problem (did not hang). It assigned an irq (11) that was shared with other resources. I do not understand why that worked...

Anyways, thanks again - appreciate your response.

Chili

chilinet, If you feel comfortable with it, yes select an open IRQ. Check for an open IRQ in Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> +System Tools +System Information +Hardware Resourses +IRQs, This will provide a list of IRQs currently in use by your system. Good Luck. -md

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back