Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Irix install killing me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampsellj

Technical User
Jun 8, 2004
US
I picked up an SGI Octane to add to my lab at the house. I tried to do a clean install of IRIX 6.5.21 on a wiped out disk. When I went to the maintenance menu, I chose option 2, to Install System Software. I was prompted for a location and I selected an external Sun Cdrom. The system then tells me to insert the install CD and press return. When I press return I get the following error: PROM write error on cacheline 0x1fcd5200 at PC=0xa80000003ff9c728 RA=0xa80000003ff9a350. At this point the system is frozen. I've tried using other CD's and the system reports that there is no installation file found on that CD, so I know the system can read the CD. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,

Jeff

are you using the right disk? the installation tools are on Overlays 1 of 4

I believe I am using the right disk. It says, "Installation tools and overlays 1 of 4".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back