Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Irix 6.2 setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyyz

Technical User
Sep 16, 2000
US
does anyone know how I can setup my indy so that it will work with my DSL router?

I really don't know much about unix... and I need to setup this machine so that I can eventually use it as a webserver.

right now all i can do is ping the local machines but i'm unable to do anything beyond that.

I need to be ble to setup a gateway... and have this machine look to the DNSs for name resolution.

any help would be appreciated.

[sig][/sig]

Okay.. Here we go....
First make a "resolv.conf" in /etc
#echo "nameserver 'Your-NameServer'" > /etc/resolv.conf
Then you will have to add an entry to your routing-table.
#route add -net default 'Your-gateway-address'

BE SURE TO INSERT YOUR GATEWAY ADDRESS IN /ETC/HOSTS!!!!

This is a very important thingy to do, otherwise some stuff (like system manager) won't work!

That;s it! You should be able to enter the net now :)

I have an Indy running IRIX 5.3. I tried the above suggestion by adding a default route to my gateway (my local DSL router, which is a Linksys) and an entry in the resolv.conf table with the ISP provided nameserver. I also added the DSL router IP address to the hosts table. With this changes the Indy can access the internet, but it can no longer access itself (i.e. pinging the machine hostname results in host not found), which means that a lot of the system is broken.

Printing the system routes (netstat -r) shows that the hostname is nowhere to be found. Restarting the network (network stop; network start) restores the original routing, with the host name being accessible, but of course the gateway routing is lost.

What else do I have to do so that I can access the internet AND the local machine?

thanks in advance
--jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back