Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRAQ-Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefRooster

Technical User
Dec 26, 2003
GB
Just Interested to see what kind of weighting/percentage hike people would expect for contract work in Iraq. I guess for a lot of (sensible) people it is and will for a long time be a no-go zone, but hey offer enough money and someone will turn uop right?

It is a government contract right, so skies the limit if history tells us anything.

"Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'."

I would not go. Not just because it's dangerous (there are other places on the globe as dangerous) but because I have two kids under the age of 8 at home. I'm not likely to go anywhere for long periods of time any time soon.

Barring the kids, yeah, I'd consider going. But not only would the pay have to be good, I'd want guaranteed periodic trips home, access to U.S.-equivalent levels of medical care, and a big company-paid-for life insurance policy.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Reliable electricity? Clean communication lines? An electrician will be more needed than a computer programmer in the short run.

Dimandja

I considered it, but they weren't looking for C# developers at the time.

Pay was unbelievable -- $200,000 per year, for 9 months work (you got 3 months vacation, and you're right there by the Mediterranean).

There was the danger aspect of it, sure. But I was in the military before, so while that was a concern, it wasn't a huge deal.

This was through the Research Triangle Institute ( who has contracts to help set up local goverments there.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

You mean "by the Persian Gulf", chiph[/i]? The Mediterranean sea is much more peaceful this time of year than the Persian Gulf.

Dimandja

The company I work for has sent and still has offers for some to go. The pay is very good, and I know a couple of people personally that are already there. They both are young and single. When they get back, they will be slotted back into their original postions here. It is risky, but so is most things. It would be impossible for me to go (single pop of a 2.5 year old), but if I didn't have the ties here, I would definitely go. I am a veteran of GW I and know it would be boring as heck, but the added incentives would make it worth while for me..

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

You mean "by the Persian Gulf", chiph? The Mediterranean sea is much more peaceful this time of year than the Persian Gulf.

It is adjacent to the Persian Gulf, yes. But there's not a lot happening there (except maybe in Qatar). I'd be more interested in seeing Egypt, Greece, and maybe Israel (got to make sure they don't stamp your passport there if you want back into an Arab country!)

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

I'd definitely go. Green fields sites and money being thrown about to build the place up. But wife and son mean it is not a goer.

Would want same benefits as above. Would be a good opportunity.

There's an article on slashdot about the situation in Bagdahd:

The biggest concern (with regards to personal safety) is the high crime rate. It didn't say so in the article, but it's known that Saddam opened the doors to the asylums shortly before the invasion. So the towns are full of the criminally insane (IOW: much like New York :)

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back