Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IR connection via mobile phone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith8266

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2003
AU
Hey guy's,
I am trying to set up an XP Pro laptop to dial out via a mobile phone for when the user is nuable to connect to a phone line.
Am I right in thinking that all i need to do isenable IR on the mobile, dial the number on the mobile and once I hear all the scrieeching point it at the IR on the Laptop?
I have been told this will work, but not for me

First you must check that the driver for the mobile phone is installed on the PC. Windows XP should have come up with the "found new hardware" wizard the first time that you switch on infrared and put the telephone next to the PC. More information is required here: have you installed the driver from a manufacturer CD/website, did you let Windows XP set it up as a standard IR modem, etc.

Everything should be steered by Windows XP DUN here (dial-up-networking.) That means that you should never have to physically touch your phone after you have switched on IR and set it beside the PC.

The normal process is: driver is installed as mentioned at the top. User sets up a new DUN connection via DUN wizard. User clicks on DUN link, PC rings the number and you are connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back