Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPXRTR ERROR 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladycard

MIS
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hello,
I am setting up a backup server - a Dell poweredge 2300 with netware 5. I plugged into the switch that our main server is on. After adding a network configuration in nwconfig I found I am getting these errors:
IPXRTR-6.60.2
60:2.3 RIP ROUTER CONFIGURATION ERROR DETECTED
NODE:0007E91A1BEZ CLAIMS NETWORK ADDRESS SHOULD BE 4A16A27

IPXRTR-6.60.4
60:2.18 SAP ROUTER CONFIGURATION ERROR DETECTED
NODE: 007E91A1BEZ CLAIMS NETWORK ADDRESS 00000004 SHOULD BE 42A16A27

Is this because I am let the nwconfig arbitarily assign numbers? I am not sure how to fix this. This is the first time setting up a novell netware 5 server from scratch. How can I bind it so both my servers show up but don't interfere with each other. I have been looking through the novell 5 documents but haven't found an answer.

Thanks for your help!
ladycard

set this both to same

line in autoexec.ncf on the bind will have net address just change it so they are the same - ie badcafe or 0000004 if you prefer - i always liked short one ie a1 b1 a6 etc

check it is another server though - i assume it is
this use to be seen with jetd's

if you are using ip though then just unbind the ipx
as you shouldnt need it pending on setup

DO not get confused, the message DOES NOT refer to the Server ID so don't change that in the AUTOECEC.NCF. The Server ID's have to be unique.

As Terry says, if you really need IPX then change the BIND line in the AUTOEXEC.NCF so that the IPX net address is the same as your other servers. Otherwise, disable IPX and just use IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Who is General Failure and what is he doing on my computer?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you are getting the message because you let inetcfg pick random numbers.

IPX sends out broadcasts every 30 seconds announcing what services are available by IPX address. The IPX address is a combination of the network address (which you pick) and the MAC address of the network card. There is only supposed to be one network per frame type in an IPX net, so when your server began announcing itself another IPX device on your network began to complain that there was a different IPX net for that frame type.

If you don't have a need for IPX on your network you would probably do yourself a favor if you just remove it and bind TCP/IP in the server. Otherwise, reset the network number for the frame type in INETCFG.

Hello,

Thanks for all your help and advice. It is greatly appreciated. I am not setting any errors after following your suggestions on either the main server or the server I am setting up.

What is the best way to add the lan protocol ARP and the Lan protocol IP address for the CE1000_1_E11. It is currently showing lan protocol: IPX network 59438C18. I looked through nwconfig menus and monitor menus. Is there another configuration menu?

Thanks!
ladycard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back