Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPX and Netware 6 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilHowe

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
GB
I have just installed a test NW 6 server, IP fine, problems with IPX/SPX.

When trying to install a remote Axis IPX/SPX print server, the pserver does not login.
IPX is correctly bound, however, ipxping does not communicate with the remote print server. No IPX 802.2 packets appear on the wire.

IP services work fine bound to the same NIC.

Is there a configuration option I need to implement?

Kind regards,

Phil

If there are no 802.2 packets on the wire, then you either are running 802.3 or IPX is not, in fact, bound properly to the card. After all, no packets. If even IPXPING doesn't get a packet on the wire, look for another NIC card. And beware of switches, you'll need to set up a monitor port to run Lanalyzer and see traffic on anotehr pair of ports. As a trick, hook the server to a hub, and the analyzer to the hub as well, jumpered into a switched network. Find those packets. Can you get a config page out of the print server? Many 'old' IPX PS devices are not going to work with NW6.

Actually, it *is* possible to put IPX on E_II, and even the Xerox frames... I hadn't thought of that.

Try:

Load {NIC DRIVER} frame=ethernet_802.2 name=lan_8022
Bind IPX to lan_8022 net=nnnn

from memory

rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back