Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPv6 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almin

Technical User
Mar 1, 2010
US
I am new to this IPv6 stuff... We are looking to test that in our environment. The company I work for has a very small IT department we have about 250 network devices that includes switches, firewalls, routers, loadbalencers...

we dont qualify for a /48 block from ARIN because of the size of our network. and ATT our provider wont give us any ipv6 blocks because of the same reason.

My question is how can we experiment with Ipv6 if no one will give us a subnet to use? Can I just pick something ?

Please help
Thanks

Unfortunately you can't just pick something. The tenets of routing still apply to IPv6 so your provider must either provide you with a range or you need to get a PIA range from ARIN and have your provider agree to route the traffic. Do you have any smaller ISPs in your area that are setup for IPv6?? Maybe a DSL or cable provider?? You don't say what exactly you are trying to test, so maybe you could setup a lab within your network to test with??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

You could do a simple test using site-local addresses, but I find it odd that ATT wouldn't provide you a netblock. You likely wouldn't get a /48 but I don't see why you wouldn't get a smaller block.

We just wanted to start playing with IPv6 get some of our equipment running on Ipv6. The main goal right now is to test the transition manual or automatic ipv4 to ipv6 tunnels. ATT hasn't denied us completely but I will work with ARIn to get a block on our own. Since we only have a couple Network Engineers and get a block from ARIN and down the road disconnect the services then we would have to give that block back to them and renumber our entire network.

Hi!

You can get a /64 subnet from Hurricane electric, go to and register an account.
Once registered, you can setup a /64 tunnel, or can request a routed /48 block.
They provide configuration samples for the tunnels for several OS.

As Vieron82 says you can set a tunnel up to a Tunnel Broker (I also use Hurrican Electric) and request a /48. I have this working in my test environment (home....) and have carved up the /48 they gave me into /64 networks that tie-up with my IPv4 subnets. Its a bit tricky trying to get /64 subnets tie-up with VLSM'd IPv4 subnets but its possible - get a spreadsheet going...

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back