Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPv6 - possible issue or maybe the way it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

chieftan

MIS
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Hi,

Is there a reason why a /48 under a prefix of /29, when applied to an interface, automatically appears with a /128 instead of /48?

Example: xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:ffff:ffff:ffff:0000:000e

Is this how IPv6 works on the interfaces as each address is unique anyway? No subnets really exist as such in IPv6....

Thanks for any help

Actually, I'm guessing that the /128 is assigning it "Link-Local" address, therefore I am obviously calculating my / incorrectly from the original assigned /29.....

So, in reality, I guess I am getting a little confused as to how I can work out the /48s from an original block of /29 .... I am not sure of the starting address and ending address

I have actually figured this issue out, from a Cisco perspective.... My problem now is with Juniper.... But I think with Juniper it is the version of code I am running as the:

set security forwarding-options

Is not present under security..... but

Set forwarding-options is present, but then the "iso" section is not available after this....

I will ask Juniper directly....

Thanks

I now have what I wanted to achieve which is an IS-IS / IPv6 working topology. Everything working as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back