Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPV4 properties greyed out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinrharris

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
GB
Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. There is no networking available and the owner of the laptop is unable to say when this happened or what triggered it.
On investigation I noticed that on the Local Area Networking Properties, when TCP/IPv4 is selected, the properties button is greyed out. I did a search on this and tried to re-enable TCPv4 by running: netsh interface IPV4 install. I also ran System File Checker. I also found references to disabling services such as "Safety Nut Service" and "Datamngr Coordinator", neither of which existed on this computer.
Ping localhost failed with, "...could not find localhost...". Pinging an external address failed with "Unable to contact IP driver. General failure."

Any other suggestions?

Incidentally, IPv6 is not greyed out and the properties are available.

Thanks

I would try these in order.
1. System Restore to an earlier date
2. Malware scan using ADWCleaner, RogueKiller, MalwareByte's and lastly Combofix (with A-V uninstalled)
3. SFC /SCANNOW

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I have already carried out scans using a variety of Malware detection products and have found no problems. I have already run System file checker and found no problems. I hadn't previously used System Restore but have now and it did not resolved the problem so I undid it.
I removed the NIC from Device Manager and let it get re-installed automatically on re-boot. Still no resolution.

thanks

Have you reset the driver using "netsh int ip reset" in an elevated command prompt then rebooted?

Or there is the Microsoft "Fix it" tool
Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I actually ran "netsh interface IPV4 install". But "netsh int ip reset" did the trick.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back