Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPSec traffic not passing through wireless router 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMKR

Technical User
Feb 11, 2005
TT
I am trying to connect to my office intranet using Nortel Contivity VPN client software but my wireless router is not allowing the IPsec traffic. I currently have a Seimens SpeedStream DSL modem/router connected to a Microsoft MN-700 wireless router. The Microsoft router has a firewall which cannot be disabled unless I use it an Access Point, which would defeat the purpose of having it. But this router does have Port forwading capabilities. I know it is this router since I do not get any problems if I connect directly to the Seimens DSL modem/router. I have been reading I should enable port forwarding for TCP ports 50 & 51 and UDP port 500 for the Nortel Contivity VPN Client software, as the Microsoft router can be configured for Application-Triggered port forwarding. Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks.

Actually, they are not ports 50 and 51, they are PROTOCOL number 50 and 51, but this is not the question here. To be more to the point, forwarding ports will have no effect whatsoever if your IPSec VPN connection is outgoing (PC -> MS router -> Office). Port forwarding is only for allowing incoming connections. To allow outgoing IPSec connections/tunnels, your router must support IPSec passthrough.

Have you tried a Firmware update, and/or checked if your wireless router supports IPSec passthrough? IPSec passthrough is a common option now in most SOHO routers.

pmf71, Thank you for the correction, you are absolutely right they are protocols. I have checked the MS router and it does support IPSec passthrough as well as I do have the latest firmware. My current configuration for the VPN connection is as follows:
PC -> MS router -> ADSL modem/router -> Office.
I still have not been able to figure out how to allow the VPN traffic throught the MS router. I am open to any ideas you may have. Thanks for the response.

Hi

this may not be of much use to you, but I have the same problem with a 3com office connect wireless router.My company use "checkpoint secure remote", and I have tried the same settings as you describe.
Stangely enough, I also have to log on to a customer's site from the same laptop using Cisco VPN client, and this works ok. It has to be a port number as far as I can see but so far I have had little success.
Please let me know if you get a resolution. I have posted a similar problem in the "Wireless" forum

Guys,

thanks for your help. I spoke to my IT Dept about my problem and they indicated I needed to logon the server that supports NAT Traversal, as such I have changed to this new server and additionally allowed traffic through the NAT Traveral port UDP 10000. All is fine now with IPSec traffic passing through both routers. I hope this helps MDgeriatric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back