Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPSec Client (freeware)?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwiner

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
US
I am currently in the process of setting up a new Linksys BEFVP41 VPN Router. We have a remote site that we are going to establish a VPN tunnel with, and we are going to have traveling users that will be using broadband or whatever internet they get on the road that are going to connect to this VPN.

Now this is my first time setting up VPN stuff, so forgive me if I don't understand right away. Although I think I pretty much got it. (I hope)

The first thing I am trying is setting up the traveling users. The docs that I have found to setup Win2k and WinXP as IPSec clients are very long and confusing. I haven't tried it yet, and I feel that I could get it working. But there is no way that I could get my other users to follow those steps.

Are there are FREE IPSec clients that I can use that will make this job easier?

So am I right in thinking that for my situation I am going to open tunnels via the Remote Security Gateway, and not the Local and Remote Secure group? If I am correct what is the purpose of the Local and Remote Secure Group?

Thanks!!!

-Matt

is there a reason why you are going with IPSec over L2TP or PPTP?

Also, WinXP comes with a built in IPSec client, as well as PPTP and L2TP

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

ahh.. Whoda thunk. Wow, I feel like a dumbass. I have probably seen that about a million times too. I'll check it out in the morning.

no reason for ipsec vs others. The information that I have found has just been leading me that way.

Any other ideas would be helpful. As long as it is compatible with this Linksys VPN router.

-Matt

well it is easier to setup a PPTP or L2TP client on XP.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

If PPTP and L2TP is easier.. then how do I do it? Doesn't pptp require authentication? What would I authenticate against?

I don't have a VPN server... The vpn router is the device I am establishing the tunnel with, I am not doing passthrough to a VPN server.

Try Sentinel (see my earlier link).
Your router is acting as the VPN endpoint here.

ok, I have installed SSH Sentinel. I am able to establish the VPN. The log on the VPN Router says it was successful. But I guess something isn't completely correct. I am not able to ping, browse, or access anything on the inside of the VPN. And the inside isn't able to ping out to the remote computer.

However I am able to ping the inside address of the router.

The "internet" is 192.168.1.0 and the IP of the client is 192.168.1.84

The external router address is 192.168.1.2
The internal network is 192.168.2.0.
The internal router address is 192.168.2.1

There is a computer on the inside with an ip of 192.168.2.80

I can ping the internal router address, but I can't ping the client on the inside. Even with turning the firewall off on the router.

Did I miss something in the config of SSH Sentinel?

Secure Gateway: 192.168.1.2
Remote Network: (any) 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0

Any ideas?

Thanks!

to me it seems it knows how to get to the 192.168.2.0 network because I can ping the internal IP address of the router. Although I am not able to ping a client machine on the internal network.

Does this have anything to do with NAT? Have I just setup the wrong test network? I mean I know this isn't exactly it... but logically it seems to work.

Thank you!

-Matt

I'm a big dumb animal folks!

I got it. stupid stupid mistake. I can't believe I beat my head on my desk all morning just to find out I had the default gateway set incorrectly on the machine on the inside of the network!

Thanks!

-Matt

VPN is hard stuff.
My sympathies.
But Sentinel for your particular router is an excellent choice.

The next step is to create a tunnel from router to router. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back to the client to router config.

If I want to sit behind my linksys router at home and my network scheme at home is 192.168.1.0 and I want to connect to the linksys VPN router which also has a network of 192.168.1.0....

am I going to have an issue?

Do I need to change the network scheme of one router?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back