Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP's Sock's and chat stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheVBman

Programmer
Nov 9, 2000
GB
Ive been try to figure out how to write a chat room that requires no server application to be running. Does anyone have any ideas?
Users and Admins should be able to log on when ever they want without the need for a server application to be run to generate the chat room host.

Please Help

dan,

this kind of thing's a bit difficult because each app would have to advertise its presence on the network - and that sort of thing is never popular with network admins

would this app have to run on the internet/a wan or just on a lan?

why don't you want to have a server?
Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com

I have permanent Server and IP but I dont manage it so I cant run a server application.
I want to use my ISP's IP and sockets.
Ok heres a senario that might help u understand my problem :
there are 0 user in the chat room so it only apears to exist because of a hyperlink to it.
A person1 logs into chat. the chat room opens but this person is just a user not an admin.
Person2 then enters as a user and person1 leaves but the chat room still exists because no user or admin has been given the server.
Users can come and go as they please without the server being past around because it sets up on my ISP but without a server part to the chat program.
I hope that makes sence Im starting to confuse myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back