Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ipod, FireWire, USB 2.0, and Different Power Suplly. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crooveman2003

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
IL
I am planning to buy an Ipod. It says that there are three ways of transfering data: FireWire Only, USB 2.0 Only, or both (USB 2.0 for data transfer and FireWire for Charging)
Now one problem is that i live in israel, and the power supply over here is 220V not like in the USA, so charging it through my power supply isn't possible.
But that problem i can solve by buying the "world travel kit " accessory, or buying a power adapter: 110V to 220V (like i did for my gamecube)
My real problem is the FireWire.
It says that except for transfering data it can charge the ipod (by what i managed to figure out from the above).
So my question is: Will i'll be able to connect the Ipod to my computer through a FireWire port? Would it chrage the Ipod, and due to the power supply differences, the ipod will burn (or another horrible thing will happen to it due to these curcimstanses, causing it to break) or will it not? I don't have a USB 2.0 port, so if i cannot connect it through FireWire, i'll simply buy a USB 2.0 PCI card.

I'm fairly sure that the firewire doesn't pass the 110/220v directly to the ipod. For a start the mainboard would have to carry this voltage to the firewire port.

The psu will drop the voltage to the required level for the mainboard regardless of what you're putting in the front, that's why they have the selector switch on them. They still put out the required voltage

Crooveman2003: Yes you can. As norty303 said if the power supply didn't drop the voltage the motherboard would not work. The motherboard uses 5 and 12 volts no matter what country it's in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back