Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO Ping all over the board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vmail

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2002
US
I have a setup of the following.....

IPO 406v2 connected to extreme summitt 300 POE switch then the extreme is connnected to a dell switch. All the servers are connected to the dell switch and all the IP phones are to the extreme. My question is the following. When we ping from a desktop, which is connected to the phone 5620's, to one of the servers connected to the dell we get a response of 1ms consistent. If we ping the ipo we get 3ms,5ms,7ms, 1ms, 9ms etc. It is totally non-consistent. We are only going from the extreme to the IPO and nothing else and it is this high. At the times of the test, the office was basically empty.

So if I can ping a server via a pc - extreme - dell switch - server at 1ms. Why when going from the pc - extreme - ip office do I have such inconsistancy?

The extreme is set to 100/full since the 406v2 is giving that. Can you hard-code the IPO switch ports? Is this the issue or is the working as designed to elimante lockups from echo requests?

Silly question here, but do you have POE turned off on the port which you have the IP Office connected to?

Can you also supply a copy of your IPO routing table?

The extreme is set to 100/full since the 406v2 is giving that
Are you sure about that....

IIRC the IPO is Half duplex only. You might get some improvment by hard setting the Extreme switch in terms of speed and duplex

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

According to Avaya Tier 3 they state to set it to 100/half, which I did on the extreme side. I don't know how to turn off/on the Qos for that port on the IPO? Do you do this on the extreme side? Here is the IP Routing Table.....

Routes are (3 of them):

IP: nothing
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
LAN1

IP: 192.168.1.0
Gateway: nothing
LAN1

IP: 192.168.99.0
Gateway: nothing
Remote Manager

Not QoS, POE - Power Over Ethernet. I assume you can manage the Extreme switch. If so, you should be able to disable POE on the IPO port. Look for 802.af settings.

Also, why do you have a gateway for your IPO? Do you have remote IP Phones or multiple sites? If you don't need the gateway then get rid of it.

If your IPO has a gateway, then when you ping it, it may send the response packet via the gateway first. I have tried this on one of my sites with a 412 and I had a similar pattern to you 3ms, 6ms, 3ms, 4ms. I have a gateway route which is setup for IP phones at remote sites. Tried it without the gateway and it was nice and quick.

Hope this helps

I have never seen an IPO respond with consistent ping times, regardless of the setup. I don't think you've done anything wrong; ICMP responses are just so far down the priority list for the IPO that even under no load it answers when it darn well feels like it :)

Peter Sherwood

Morrack Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back