Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO IP401DT4 with 2.1(15) s/w - IP phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogman

Technical User
Mar 24, 2004
GB
Hi there,
We have a IP 401DT4 and wish to get an IP extension working at another site where there is no IPO switch.
We have set up a VPN between sites but can't get the IP phone at the other site to register with the IPO. Auto register is set to enable on the IPO. Does it only work if you have an AVAYA IP handset? If so, which one definately works? Could we use a soft-IP (SIP type) phone such as X-lite?
AFAIK 2.1 is the latest version available for a 401DT4.
Regards, mogman.

If your phone has the latest software and run on the local lan it,s then there is no need right now for use of an TFTP-server.
But in at a client configuration i always have running a tftp-server with the needed software.

Then in the remote location did you put in a ip-adres of the range of the remote location.
A subnetmask,gateway and the IP-Adres of the IP-Office.

Also start a ping to the phone,s ip-adres and see if you can ping it.

Then it will start up and the tftp-request will timeout and it will seek the IP-Office.

So here is the point where the gateway adres is important else it will not find the IPO.

Greets Peter

Hi again,
OK we are still stuck.
Have added the route into the IP401 and now the remote site can ping it. Both sites can ping the phone. The phone will not answer calls, it just sits there saying "discovering 192.168.42.1" (the IP401 IP addresss).
Any ideas?

Hi,
Sorry to be a pain but does anyone have any ideas?

Hi mogman,

Try this.

Reset System Values
Use the following procedure to reset all system initialization values to the application software default values.

While the phone is on-hook and idle, press the following sequence: Hold 7 3 7 3 8 # (Hold R E S E T #)

The phone displays Reset values?

Press * to cancel this procedure or press # to reset values to their defaults.

WARNING: As soon as you press #, all static information will be erased without any possibility of recovering the data.

The phone displays Resetting values whilst the system values are reset to their defaults.

Once the system values are reset, the phone displays Restart phone?

Press * to end the procedure without restarting the telephone.

Press # to restart the telephone. The remainder of the procedure then depends on the status of the boot and application files, see Restart Scenarios.

what routers are you using? For tftp to work as manager the ip address in manager needs to be set to 255.255.255.255 and not a specific ip address. The reason for the router questions. Netgear fvs318v3 software .22 has a major problem with h323 phones. i use kentrox or linksys routers. i haved used netgear fvs114's and they work okay.

Thanks for replies.
MTVilla: Keys just beep
jconrad0305: we use vigor 2800's - but surely as it's a VPN link, that is irrelevant? (vigor say so when asked).
Where do I set manager to 255.255.255.255?
I have noticed that the IP phone has stopped responding to pings from this lan but will respond to pings on it's own lan - does that make any sense?
C

did you putt in the right gateway in your phone setting's ?
you have to fill in the gateway adress of your router at the remote location
you have top put it in the phone under : router

all sorted :)
someone entered a VLAN entry where none was needed.
thanks again for your excellent help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back