Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO IP401DT4 with 2.1(15) s/w - IP phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogman

Technical User
Mar 24, 2004
GB
Hi there,
We have a IP 401DT4 and wish to get an IP extension working at another site where there is no IPO switch.
We have set up a VPN between sites but can't get the IP phone at the other site to register with the IPO. Auto register is set to enable on the IPO. Does it only work if you have an AVAYA IP handset? If so, which one definately works? Could we use a soft-IP (SIP type) phone such as X-lite?
AFAIK 2.1 is the latest version available for a 401DT4.
Regards, mogman.

Hi.

First upgrade to the latest 2.1.... (2.1(62)) i think.

Is there a VCM-card installed in the 401?? If not, forget it!

Don't count on getting other than Avaya's own phones working. If you wan't to try third party phones, an IP Endpoint license is needed.

The IPO ONLY speaks H.323 ;-)

Firstly, all 401s have built-in VoIP capability, either 3 port or 8 port depending on your model.

You can take the 401 up to 3.0DT - I have one in production with a bunch of 4620/4602 SW handsets working a treat.

Don't know about non-Avaya hardphones; however we found the Softphone were a world of pain and moved the customer to hardphones.

This 401 has no VCM resources build in and it is only supported upto version 2.1
If you don't have a VCM card then sell your 401 and buy a Small Office Edition wich has build-in VCM recources and it is probably cheaper as a VCM card and this unit can be upgraded to the latest software and you can use the 54xx and 56xx phones mixed.

Its never bad to try to help someone.
Just stay responding.
It,s just intrigant has to many free time:)

Greets Peter

thanks guys, forgot to mention we do have the VCM card, so all I need is to find a 4620 handset?

Yep!

While you're at it, find a 4621 instead! It has a nices display ;-)

sorry to be thick but I can't find the info on avaya's site... is the 4621 the same as a 4621SW?

Yes the SW sufix means it is equiped with a switch not a hub (I do not beleave that a raw 4621 was ever produced)

the 4621sw is an upgraded 4620 with back lit display, it is not listed on the IP401 compatibility chart but this may simply be because it did not exist at that time.

Hi,
OK, got me a couple of 4621SW phones, they work great on local lan :)
However, when I sent them to our remote lan site which is linked to our by VPN I get "failed TFTP server". I can ping all IP addresses on remote site from local site and remote site can ping all on my site (except the IP address of the IP40!) so VPN working fine. I can ping my IP401
Why will the IP401 not respond to pings from the rtemote site?
TIA

failed TFTP server" Does the TFTP Server have a Default Gateway Programmed ? IS the address correct in the phone since moving to remote VPN ?
You question confuses Me a little, Remote 401 ?? Have a default gateway programmed? Does you VPN allow TFTP For Example PIX based VPN needs to have TFTP checking diabled inorder to pass TFTP traffic, Can you please provide more information.

ipo.gif

"Launching late 2006

Did you put in ip-route a gateway like

IP-Adres 0.0.0.0
Mask 0.0.0.0
gateway 10.0.3.254 (ip-adres of your gateway)
destination Lan1

Greets Peter

MrIPO:
I admit I assumed the IP401 IS the TFTP server?
The IP 401 doesn't seem to have way of entering a gateway address.

Local lan:
192.168.42.0 (subnet 255.255.255.0)
IP401 192.168.42.1
Router/Gateway/VPN 192.168.42.254

Remote LAN:
192.168.0.0 (subnet 255.255.255.0)
Router/Gateway/VPN 192.168.0.1
IP phone when set to 129.168.42.200 (and on local lan) worked perfectly.
Install same IP phone on remote LAN and set phone to 192.168.0.200, tell it gateway is 192.168.0.1, tell it TFTP is 192.168.42.1 and it fails.
I'm told our LAN-to-LAN VPN has no blocks on it.

big70: no, should it have one?

Yes you should have a route to your gateway else it will never make contact to you remote side.

Thats why everything works on local lan and not at the remote side.
First make sure you ad this route and make sure you can ping the IP-Office from the remote side.
Else its useless to try to make a IP-Phone worke from the remote side.

The tftp-server is not the IP-Office you can run 3th-party program,s or you can use the Manager it,s also a TFTP-server.
It,s used to download new software for the phone.

So first make sure you can ping the IP-Office from the remote side!!!

Greets Peter

Hi Peter,
OK I added the route and now the remote side can ping the IP401 :)
It still fails at finding TFTP...
It seemed to work on the local lan without Manager running.
I have the Manager but only on the local lan - do I need to install Manager on a PC on the remote lan too? Will it need to be running everytime the phone is re-started?
If I use a 3rd party TFTP server, what does it need to send to the phone?
Sorry for my lack of understanding.
Regards, mogman

i use whitehorse tftp
it runs as a service
put it on the same pc as the manager pc
then in options set the files of the manager (bin files)
then ste the ip adres of the tftp pc (server)
this is called "fileserver" on the phone

now it should work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back