Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO Hot Desk Call Quality 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDOIPO

Vendor
May 2, 2014
US
IPO R9
User hot desks between Housotn, TX and Florida.
He has call audio cutting in and out when he's logged in at either location.
IPO is local in Houston. Call quality would be understandable on the VPN connection in FL, but to have it happen when local as well?
I've deleted and re-added the user and extension.

ACIS-SME
ACSS-SME
ASPS-IPOCC
CCNA

Can you offer some more information?

1) What type of trunks, extension and phone model?
2) Have they had any internet issues?
3) Is the audio "cutting in and out" in both directions? When it cuts out, is the problem that he can't hear, or that he can't be heard, or both?
4) Does this happen on inside calls, outside calls, or both?
5) Is this a new install? If not, how long has he had the trouble?

Thanks to technology, we can instantly communicate across the world, but it still doesn't help us know what to say.

kampling
get a star for the question about details

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

1) What type of trunks, extension and phone model? - PRI Trunk, and last I checked a VPN phone could only be IP, 9611 handeste
2) Have they had any internet issues? No reported internet issues. If this was that simple, I wouldn't have come to the forum.
3) Is the audio "cutting in and out" in both directions? When it cuts out, is the problem that he can't hear, or that he can't be heard, or both? The issue is bidirectionsl
4) Does this happen on inside calls, outside calls, or both? Customer has only reported this on external calls.
5) Is this a new install? If not, how long has he had the trouble? They are Release 9. So this has been installed for some time now.

Keep in mind, this happens when he is logged in as the VPN phone AND when he's in Houston and a local IP phone. Further, he is the only one reporting issues.

ACIS-SME
ACSS-SME
ASPS-IPOCC
CCNA

So just to recap
even if he just logs into a local IP phone he has the quality issues?
Anyone that usually uses that IP phone does not have the same issues and I mean the same phone not in the same premises as well as not him bringing the phone along and plugging it into the network because that would still be a VPN phone then if the firewall allows to connect to the outside interface from inside.

If that is the case for it all could it be that he has a separate line setup just for him (possibly SIP) that would send calls out a different path?

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I don't think these questions warrant snarky responses.

"1) What type of trunks, extension and phone model? - PRI Trunk, and last I checked a VPN phone could only be IP, 9611 handeste"

You did not specify that the VPN was a single phone. The wording suggested that it MIGHT be an SCN across VPN (a common practice). Also, the 9611 is NOT the only VPN-capable phone. Any IP phone will work across a VPN using additional equipment (not an ideal practice, but I've seen people do it).

"2) Have they had any internet issues? No reported internet issues. If this was that simple, I wouldn't have come to the forum."

I asked this question not knowing which type of trunks you were dealing with. Had they been "analog" trunks provided by a cable TV company, and the trouble was only one direction, the culprit would likely be an infrastructure issue on the part of the provider, being VoIP. If this was the case, they would likely have intermittent internet issues as well.

"5) Is this a new install? If not, how long has he had the trouble? They are Release 9. So this has been installed for some time now."

Again, not a desirable situation, but sometimes people have installed a new system using an older software release in order to avoid upgrading an existing system with which it is going to be networked via SCN, or to use older phones that they may already have.

So, I did not ask these questions because I think you're stupid. I asked them, because the best method of troubleshooting begins with listening. And, sometimes, you have to ask questions in order to get the "customer", in our case YOU, to give all the information that is needed in order to find a potential cause.

I assume that you ask for help on this forum because you hope that someone knows something that you don't. I don't profess to be smarter than anyone. I'm just one beggar telling another beggar where I found some bread.

Thanks to technology, we can instantly communicate across the world, but it still doesn't help us know what to say.

More information has come to light with further poking of the customer.
There are other 0611 VPN phones out there on this system, and another user is reporting issues.
They have told me that when the original complainer logs in on the Houston system, he has the same issues, but I am not going to trust this and will be testing soon. Have to find a time when I can take over the user extension in Houston.

With 2 reported VPN phones reporting issues, my focus will be turning to the VPN appliance.

ACIS-SME
ACSS-SME
ASPS-IPOCC
CCNA

IDOIPO said:
With 2 reported VPN phones reporting issues, my focus will be turning to the VPN appliance.

indeed
as any of the top manes here will confirm when it comes to VoIP issues it is ALWAYS the network

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

I agree. I've been a consumer of Tek-Tips for years, but not much of a contributor. But, I've been an IP Office engineer for 7 years now and constantly have to tell people that the issue is their network.

ACIS-SME
ACSS-SME
ASPS-IPOCC
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back