Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO DHCP Server...What's the point??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektekkie

Technical User
Feb 15, 2007
GB
Anyone know the reason why the IPO documents say that the DHCP server on the IPO can only support max of 5 H.323 IP telephone devices. Anything over 5 and a seperate DHCP server must be used.
The DHCP server turns out to be a pointless feature on the IPO with its limited funtionality wouldn't you agree?

I dont know the exact answer but it may have something to do with the manager only handling 5 TFTP connections as well.

where is that documented ?
i can't find it
Maybe that only 5 phone's at the same can get an ip adress
but that is not a problem because the phone will keep requesting

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

tlpeter, type "Alternate DHCP Servers" into the FIND option in IP Office Docs. There it states:
The recommended installation method for H.323 IP phones uses a DHCP server. When 5 or less H.323 IP phones are being supported, the DHCP can be performed by the IP Office Unit itself. However, if more than 5 H.323 IP phones are being supported, a separate DHCP server must be used.

I use static IP addressing unless thier is an IT person that will set up 3rd party DHCP with option 176 on their server. I have, but I don't use the ip office dhcp or the manager tftp at all. [smile]

"The lack of money is the root of all evil

I found it
i never tried it but maybe it jsut works without problems
it says it is not supported but like always it doesn't say it does not work :)

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Do five simultaneous DHCP requests from devices still cause the LAN to stop responding?

Used to happen all the time which may be why they now reccomend this.

The IPO DHCP Server does not keep a verry fgood record of issued addresses
if it recieves a flood of requests (more than 5) it can (& does) issue duplicate IP addresses.

The DHCP server cfunction is therefore only realy suited to small SoHo environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back