Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO and DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALF13

Technical User
Oct 30, 2006
DE
A customer doesn't want to use static ip adresses. He wants to use a DHCP server for every network endpoint. Also for the IP office and the ip phones. Does anyone have experience with this constellation? Which problems may occur?

What has to be absolutely considered?

Should we avoid such a constellation?

Why?

THANK YOU!!

no way to use dhcp for the ip office
ip phone oke but the ip office must have a static ip adres
it is possible but then you will have big trouble
the ip phones will get there information from the dhcp server (ipadres ,callserver,fileserver)
but if the adres of the ip office changes then it win't work anymore
so ip phones oke but ip office must be static
also VMPro and other applications must have a static ip adres

I use my dhcp for my IP office.
IP Office dhcp setting set to client and in my DHCP server I've set that the IPO will always get the same adress. No problem there.
Sure, if you don't give the IPO the same adress every time you will run into trouble with your IP phones since they hava to know the adress of the IPO.

One more vote that says IP Office must always have the same IP Address. While it could be dynamic as jani78 describes, it must always be the same (so why bother). You could MAYBE write some complex script that would tell phones the updated IPO address in a dynamic situation - but it is WAY WAY WAY more trouble than it's worth. Tell the customer that it requires static. If you don't, you'll likely get endless complaints of things not working. And surely there are other static devices on the network, like the router...
Mike

Thanks fur your assistance.

I am interest at details which errors may occur. Can it come to problems with the “release Time”? Please says to me your experiences.

THANK YOU

1. If IP phones can't find control unit, they won't work.
2. If applications can't find control unit, they won't work.

There is just no way that I'd install an IP Office without a staic IP address. Life is too short to go into a project knowing that is bound to fail.
Mike

Yes, but when I will set that the IPO will always get the same address from the DHCP = which errors may occur?

you would get no errors, if that setting never gets removed or modified over time. Why take the chance
With IT turnover these days, the next manager or tech might see those and remove them, without calling you, which I have had happen to me, though fortunatly not on a Avaya system

The reason to put the IPO in a static entry in your DHCP would be that the sysadmin could see in the server that this adress is taken.

A dynamic entry should never be considered.

We all agree that IPO needs a static address. Whether it gets it through the DHCP server or through its own configuration is irrelevant, let me explain why.

a. Let's say you use DHCP and the IT guy suddenly changes the IP address. Applications won't connect to the IPO and so will IP Phones.

b. Let's say you have an address from the DHCP that should never change, but the IT guy suddenly changes it. You'll get the same result as in a.

c. Let's say you have a static IP address, and the IT guy suddenly decides to put it in a pool for the DHCP, so some device will get the IPOs address. What you'll get is the same result as a/b.

So basically you have no power over what the IT guy does to screw with the setup. Give him what he wants and at least you'll have a friend and not an enemy.

IPOffice can provide dhcp server functions, however the IPOffice itself must be fixed IP address (as must the default gateway if one exists).

Give the guy the knowledge that if any client, device, entity, brother in law's sisters uncles cousin loses connectivity to the IPO or any of its associates, that all time to troubleshoot, resolve, commute, communicate, resolve, or otherwise think about or deal with re-establsihing connectivity will be billable at your normal rates if it can wait to be scheduled up to 5 days, and at emergency rate if it can not wait to be scheduled for service. This includes if the response is originaly not considered billable time, but is in any way not able to be proven the issue had nothing to do with not making the requested IP's static.
Let him know that you expect to vacation somehwere expensive with the entire company on the $ you will make off of this. Then let him make the call.

I would give the customer what he wants. The customer is always right you know. Except, of course, when they are wrong.

Has anyone ever seen the movie The Magnificent Seven? At one point in the movie,Steve McQueen is telling a story about a guy who jumps into a cactus patch. When asked why he jumped, the man says that it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think this is a cactus patch.

I assume everyone understands that i was trying to be a bit humurous, but also to be sure to define the support differences between an Avaya supported configuration, and one which is not. Defining in a less tongue in cheek method the support types which will be billable for their requested configuration is just giving the customer what they need, the information to make an informed decision up front.
In this case the cactus patch is being jumped into by the customer as well, with some foreknowledge of the possible consequences on the technicians part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back