Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO 500 v2 r9.0 to r11

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaximusBrian

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2014
US
Hey guys, this is the first r9 to r11 upgrade/migration that i am doing. The system is ADI and switching over to PLDS. i got the email from avaya today with the new LAC for the PLDS conversion.

ive seen/read several threads that did 9.1 to 11 but couldn't find a reference to a 9.0 to 11.

My question is what is the best way to upgrade? Some 9.1 threads said do steps to 10 then 11 while others said go straight. How do you switch to PLDS once you have the codes?

Thanks!

thank you for that! is there a tech guide that you may be able to direct me to the upgrade please?

Upgrade procedure is described in release notes of each release

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

I've read through the release notes for 11.

The main thing i read from it was to make sure the weblm was updated first.

I've also read other threads here and some mentioned even though the 9 to 11 should be a straight shot, you should do s stepped upgrade to 10 then to 11.

i was looking to get some feedback as well since i will have a small window to do this around midnight and wanted to make sure i take the least risk.

thanks again!

On Server Edition you need to go through R10, shouldn't be needed on IP500.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

I find as practical to prepare upgrade on spare SC card (load/recreate target sw version, load cfg and activate licenses). At customer site just power off IPO and replace SC cards. Thus down time on production IPO as work on customer site is minimal. Also in case of some problem roll back is simple and fast (just put original/old SD card back to IPO).
!!! Be aware that this is applicable only if dual stage upg is not needed. Dual stage upg is needed in the case for R older than R8.1(65) (boot loader verson important - should be v 1.32 or higher).

APDS - Avaya Midmarket Solutions
AIPS - Avaya IP Office™ Platform
ACSS - Avaya IP Office™ Platform

I just upgraded a 9.0 to the latest version 11, I just recreated the sd card with my laptop and make sure you have the latest version of manager installed, after it is recreated successfully, put sd card back in the control unit and power up. It will upgrade the existing cards 1st, once you are able to connect then upload your new PLDS licenses.

legotajkun, with your suggestion, do you need an avauya ulaw card (USA) or a 8gb card from amazon?

You need the Avaya card, and be careful to only format and recreate through Manager.

so today, my new SD card came in, recreated it in manager with latest 11.

just had a thought, i believe the xml file was generated under the current SD card in the ipo with r9. if i put the new SD card with r11, wouldn't that mess up the activation due to different host id's?

im thinking there is a way to change the entitlement in plds website?

Yes, you will rehost the licenses with the new SD card's serial number. Put the .xml file in the Primary folder, remaned as PLDSKeys.xml pull the current config and save to your local drive. Open in Manager, delete the ADI licenses, save as config.cfg, and also put in the Primary folder on the card.

thank you TTT, that did the trick.

i missed the part about the config part so the system booted in basic mode and gave error "ip office is unusable until release licence is added" in monitor. i had to switch it to standard mode, load the plds file (even though it was in the primary folder) & the config file exported prior to upgrade and rebooted.

system came up but some of the LAN1 -> network topology settings goofed up so i had make a few changes.

this upgrade/migration wasn't bad at all.

i feel doing research on here and talking with people helped quite a bit to avoid the nuances to have a successful upgrade/migration.

its crazy how ppl are charging 1500-2000 for this!

For future just make sure the config you want is called config.cfg and in the primary folder before you put it in the system to perform the upgrade.

| ACSS SME |

thank you. yes, i read that after it booted in basic mode and figured out i missed that step.

Hello everyone,
This has been very informative, I just got word that one of our customers is maybe going to add another location to an already 6 location SCN'd sites.
They are all at 9.1.12.
Sounds like, from this post, the easiest thing to do is to go to all these sites to do the upgrade.
My problem is they are located all over the Midwest US, it would be impossible for me to get to all of them in a weekend.
Thinking that they would all need to be at revision 11 around the same time in order for the SCN to still be operational.

Is there anyway to do this upgrade remotely?

I can see all the sites have an 8gb SD card, except one has the 4. That location isn't to bad & only a hour & half away from me.

We haven't order or done nothing yet, just wanted to get info for when my boss asks me what we need to do.

Thank you to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back