Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO 406 3.0 Fax / Modem Analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihatehndls

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
Hi,
I have a customer that has an application that runs on their Win. 2000 PC. It sends faxes out through an external modem/com1. We're trying to send it through an analoge extension on the IPO. And then through a PRI T-1 out of the IPO.
With a Robotics 33,000 baud modem I can get the call to route out if I place a comma "," after the area code and before the office code. The customer does not want to edit their number list to add a comma. Which I understand. I feel this modem is suspect, I'm not sure.
With a Robitics V.92 56K modem all I get is "no dial tone". It seems the station dial tone from the IPO in not correct. Robotics help desk blames the IPO. We have tried three new V.92 modems.
AVAYA blames the modems, of course. I've changed short codes, analog ports, com ports, etc. I have wasted an inordinate amount of time on this and I think I'm going to get ousted over this. Anyway, is there a way to change the dial tone on an analog port so the V.92 will hear it? Or is there a way to slow down the dial string from the 33,000 baud modem so the IPO or the Qwest T-1 will not puke?

Oddly enough, Just about any modem in the IP Office has issues with getting out. Except the two faxes I put into a hunt group that is accessed by a did number.

THanks for your time and Merry Christmas.
Rex

Sounds like you are having fun with an external fax!

Easiest option would be to export the directory from your fax server to a CSV file, then import this to excel and insert "," accordingly. Import and replace back to the directory.

Second option try this shortcode, untested (maybe somebody will have a better option)
Code 01XXXXXXXXX
Telephone 01XXX,XXXXXX
Line Gruop 0
Feature Dial
Idea is when you dial 11 digit starting with 01, the IPO pause for 1s after the fifth digit.

You'll have to have a play and observe the calls in Call Status.

You may also be able to configure the modem to ignore the lack of dialtone and dial anyway. Usually done in the modem initilization string. We do this on some PBXs that have a higher frequency intercom dialtone (not the standard 440 Hz US standard).
Mike

USR modems with the Avaya IP Office is a known issue with impedance on the IP Office analog ports. They are aware of the issue, but do not have solution.

Actually, the solution that we found for one customer was to plug an analog telephone into the "phone" jack of the modem. When plugged in, all worked fine. Don't need to "do" anything with the phone, just plug it in. Don't know why... but it worked.
Mike

These guys are exactly correct. The modem doesnt put enough resistance on the line to allow the ipo to see the off hook state. Put a single line phone in line with the connected modem and it will work. You may be able to connect a resistor in line with the modem instead of a single line phone. Havent tried that yet. Also, there are different releases of the US robotic modems. Some work and some dont.

I have seen rj11's with a resister crimped on pins 4,5 and always wondered what those were for. I wonder what the magic number is for the resister. Plug that into the phone jack on the modem and mission accomplished. Might need to make a trip to Radio Shack after I break out the ohm meter this week and see if I can measure the difference in resistance once a single line phone is added to the modem.

Thanks to you all. I have seen that also on OPX lines running out of a CO. We actually tried that on wireless analog phones on a Magix system. It did seem to help. It just never registered in my feeble mind that it would help on this issue. I think we used 600 ohm resitors. I also think bridging a goat across will do the same thing. And none of the calls ever failed when I used my goat.

Once again, thanks for your help.
Rex

Sorry, as I was learning the telecom industry, we called the "butt-in" set a goat. I'm so old I can't remember why or what it means. So that's what I call it. Bridging a goat is just connecting it to the line. Sorry to confuse.
Rex

Thought this thread may have helped me - it almost does, I think!

A client has a Equinox multi-modem bank card in his server (
It appears it can dialout no problem - but dialing in just isn't working! As soon as they plug it into a BT line, all is fine. We are plugged into a analog extension on a Phone30 V2 module - I've tried everything but it just doesn't seem to be seeing it - all it does is ring when someone calls in.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried anything similar!

Cheers.

If you can actually see the analog port ring or test it with a pot telephone and it rings, but the modem will not pickup. Try the some different ringpattern settings for the modem user.
Had the same problem today with an answeringmachine. Internal it would pick up, external not. Changed the ringtype (set external the same as internal looked the default settings up on the system tab in manager) and all was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back