Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iphone 3.0 and exchange server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITJam

MIS
Nov 25, 2002
US
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with the new iphone 3.0 and exchange 2003? We have a couple of users who have them and want to synchoize their email...in the past with the older iphones we only went as far as forwarding users e-mail to an external account so that they could pull it into their phones.
Thanks for any tips/pros/cons...

The new iPhone software has a built in connector for exchange that acts like activesync. So the phone syncs data just like a windows mobile phone.

Wm. Reynolds
Premise Communications
Texas Public Safety Solutions

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

Thank you reynolwi, I'll have to get ahold of one to check it out....

has a built in connector for exchange that acts like activesync

Actually it is ActiveSync.
I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Thanks for the replies...

58Sniper, what did you need to set up on the Exchange 03 side? And was the iphone the "phone of choice" for your company?
Thanks.

The iPhone has ActiveSync built in. So we didn't have to do anything.

No - not my phone of choice. From both the user and admin side.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

The iPhone will work just like a windows mobile phone when you go to set it up. It syncs all data just like windows mobile does so there is nothing extra you have to setup on the exchange server. Just enter the server information and the username and password on the iphone and it will sync up. I have an iPhone running on my network now and works pretty good

Wm. Reynolds
Premise Communications
Texas Public Safety Solutions

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

Hi,

Can I enter the server name as an IP address?

In a web browser if I enter <IP ADDRESS>/exchange I get to the exchange server.

The IP address is an external address on the firewall that port forwards to the exchange server.

What do I enter in the Iphone under server settings?

Thanks
Mark

You should have a certificate installed and should be entering the name on the certificate.

For example: mail.company.com

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I have an IPhone 3G running 3.0 software and it works fine with Exchange 2003, I use the same HTTPS address as our OWA users, I did not have to change anything on the server, if you have a 3G data connection it will synch both mail and calendar, you can also use any available WIFI to connect

FrankF
A+,Network+,MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back