Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPECS with remote DTIM24?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblumel

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2015
US
We have an IPECs system with 3 connected DTIM 24 units, all of this on its own private LAN, although, it is connected to the Internet since we have a number of IP phones scattered around in various places. I am by no means an expert on this phone system, although, I know a fair amount about IP networking.

We're moving to new offices, which is what prompts my question. Right now everyone is in the same office space, but, with the move, one group will have a geographically separate office. Our "phone guy" (outside consultant) swears to me that I can remotely connect 1 of the DTIM 24s, over the internet, to my IPECS system in the main office. But, he can't tell me exactly how this would be done or what configuration changes would be required, not even how I would tell the DTIM the location (IP) of the main system, just that he's sure it can be.

Does anyone have any experience doing this and, if so, could you give me at least a brief synopsis of how this would be setup and configured?

yes, this is possible.
In the remote DTIM you set the public IP of the place where the iPECS is located
and you make a port forwarding in the firewall to the ipecs system there.

That makes sense, but how do you, "set the public IP of the place where the iPECS is located?

In every gateway you can set a MFIM IP and when you use the gateway in remote mode
this IP is the public IP of the place where the MFIM is located.
In the lan settings you have to set "set remote=remote" and "Same lan with MFIM=no"

Do you have to "get into" the DTIM (console port?) to change these settings or are there specific settings somewhere in the system's web interface? (I've looked, but couldn't find anything.) If you have to somehow "log into" the DTIM, do you know the exact details of how that is accomplished? (Or know where there are docs that explain the details of all this?)

The DTIM has a webinterface where you can make these settings.
Via console this is still possible.

Does anything need to be done to enable the DTIM's web interface (hardware switch or something?), or is it on a non-standard port? It doesn't seem to respond on ports 80 or 443.

OK, looks like my router wasn't passing traffic to the DTIM IP, connected locally and am able to get into the web interface, and see the settings you mentioned.

Thanks.

So, this worked perfectly putting one of my DTIMs at a remote location. Very simple setup, excellent call quality, although, the latter obviously depends on the quality of the Internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back