Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ipconfig shows mystery ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayhoe

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
GB
Hi

When I run ipconfig on the server it shows the IP address
of the lan NIC (192.168.0.2 - 255.255.255.0), the IP
address of the dialup connection ((212.159.etc), and a
mystery third IP address (192.168.0.32 - 255.255.255.255)

Anyone got any ideas where this other address and subnet
mask have come from. There is only one NIC in the server.

People do dial in to this server - could it be something
to do with that? (no-one was connected at the time I ran
the Ipconfig command)

Regards

Frank

The third address is most likely related to your dialup server. The dialup connection creates a virtual network adapter which gets it's own IP.

Best way to make sure is to look at the heading above the address in question -- the line that is flush to the left.

Hmm do you have a scope designed with that ip scheme 192.168.0.0 to like 50 or something , or is the box hooked up to a router ! Anthony Cabanas
Long Island Networking Technologies Inc acabanas@linettech.com

It could be the old IP address in your PC, try to choose another ip address like 192.168.0.3 and your gateway ip the same, also same subnet mask as "STATIC", then Restart your pc ,then run IP config and watch if it takes your new ip address, then it will go away (if it was an old one ), you can check TCPIP property again and make it Dynamic again, Restart now check see if the extra IP address still exist, make sure you know all connections to your Router,most the time your base(gateway) ip address is 192.168.1.1 as internal Ip....

Good Luck

I have seen this issue with windows 2000 un serviced packed. Usually its the old ip still in the registry. Put on the latest service pack.

that is a network broadcast address A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Thanks for all the replies - I haven't been back to this server to check the suggestions yet - will post an update as soon as I get there

Regards

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back