Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ipconfig/all does not list static ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWWK

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2007
US
To this day we are baffled by the following: SBS 2003 with 20+ clients is working well until everyone started getting connection issues, internet and e-mail issues etc.
Right now, we have all connectivity back (connection configuration settings) except the possibility of VPN and Terminal Services.

"ipconfig/all" will not list the server's static ip address although we went through all the settings with Dell Tech Support (PowerEdge 2800) and Symantec Tech Support (Gateway Series firewall). Pinging the server results in a timeout.

I searched the posts on this forum and although plenty of folks have had "pinging" issues, I did not see anything related to this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

It should be "ipconfig /all" not "ipconfig/all" but either way, go to the control panel, right-click on Network, then go to properties. You can then double-click on the TCP/IP settings to see what IP address has been set-up.

Are you trying to ping by FQDN or IP or both? Do you have security/firewall settings on that server that prevent ping replies? Anything showing up in the event logs for that server that may point you in the right direction?

Have you checked your local DNS zones to make sure you don't have old records in there? If you do have old records in there, make sure you've set-up the scavanging on your DNS server to get rid of old records.

Good luck,

lhuegele,

Thanks very much for your help:

I was able to add the missing IP/Network data in Properties,
I was able to (IP) ping this main server IP address and receive a VPN connection but it cut off internet access to the clients; this should prove that it is truly in the configuration where my problem is. I just haven't found yet where exactly.
My firewall (Gateway 300 series) does allow for inbound requests.
I enabled DNS Zones scavenging because you were correct, it was not turned on.
The DNS event log mentions only that the DNS Server has started.

I do very much appreciate your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back