Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPC$

Status
Not open for further replies.

inodanet

MIS
Oct 24, 2001
US
Can anyone help?

On my new Dell PowerEdge 4300 I cannot connect to my server from any computer that I don't use Administrator for my logon. Even those who are in the Admin group can't access the server. Everytime we try and connect, we get a password box wanting a password for IPC$.....

What is this, why is is shared, and why is it the default when I try and browse to my server with any account other than Administrator?

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

K'
There is a couple of things you can check..
Is an account created in the domain for the server?
Is that server part of your domain or workgroup?
From a 95/8/me system you will not be able to get to a share if that user does not have the proper rights to that share.
IPC$ is a default admin share and only id's with admin rights on that system will be able to access it.

Hope this helps.

This may seem like an elementary question, can I create another profile other than Administrator on my server? I think that's the solution, but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks!

Ryan

If you are trying to use the same account name on the workstation and on the server, you MUST use the same password on both or you will get the call for an IPC$ password. To resolve your existing conflicts, remove the affected profiles from the workstation, reboot your workstation, then logon with the same details as on the server and your profile will be rebuilt with the correct information. This should solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back