Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ipc$ password problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank123

MIS
Sep 17, 2001
US
Here's the situation... I've got a NT 4.0 server that was running perfectly. This NT server was letting Windows 95 machines share some folders. Then I was told to make the IP static (was DHCP) and that's when the problems started. I gave it an IP/subnet/gateway, dns service search order, primary wins and secondary wins. Everything else works fine on the NT. What cased the problem? WINS # wrong? or? Thanks for any info.

Please let us know what the problem was?

All servers should be Static, not DHCP!

It's only a temporary test server that's why I had it as DHCP. Now I'm changing it to static and I cannot access the files on the NT from a 95 machine which I did before the IP change. ???? No idea how to fix the problem..

I agree with Techidiva, all servers should be static.

As for your problem it sounds more like the subnet mask is different between your NT and your 95 machines. Check that first. Then check your gateway.

By accessing the files from 95 do you mean accessing them via computer name and mappings or what? I presume you have shares established.

Can you ping the NT server? What about mapping a drive; mapping a drive using IP?

More info needed if none of those work but try all of that first. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Mike
MCSE

Thanks for your time Taztug.. The subnet mask and gateway are the same on both machines. And yes, I am accessing established shares via computer name and mappings.
I can ping the NT server. I tried mapping a drive using IP and that didn't work.
I work for a large company and don't completely understand the setup of DNS and WINS so I'm sure that doesn't help but I'm wondering if the wrong primary or secondary WINS # would give me this error.

When changing the server from dhcp to static I changed the following: Added IP, subnet, and gateway. Then I added a DNS Service Search Order # and I put in a primary and secondary WINS #.

Thanks for any advice!!

I finally got it to work. What I eventually did was have the server deleted and then added back to the domain and it worked. I'm glad that's over. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back