Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ip6 won't go away, causing aloha problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

360fish

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2011
US
this one is odd. I have a set of terminals which whenever they connect to any windows network will make all computers on that network default to ipv6 when resolving names. This happens even if IPv6 is unchecked, if the ipv4 binding is set above 6 in the advanced properties of the network card. Aloha does not like IPv6 but I can't seem to get rid of it once this terminal joins a network. All computers including the aloha terms are Win7, 32 and 64 bit.

For example, I take a terminal to my home network. Prior to the terminal going onto the network
ping localhost --> 127.0.0.1
ping computername --> 192.x.x.x

After the aloha terminal has joined the network, just attached to the same router, and with no direct interaction between the other computers and the terminal, now all computers return

ping localhost --> ::1
ping computername --> 08fe:xxxx (IPv6 address)
ping computername -4 --> 192.x.x.x

This behavior continues even without IPv6 enabled on any adapter on the network.

One thing remains as it was before

ping -a 192.x.x.x --> reply from computername 192.x.x.x in normal IPv4 fashion without forcing ping -4

I have tried netsh winsock reset, net stop dnscache, netsh int ip reset.log hit, unchecking IPv6 in multiple places, etc. It's like this terminal infects other windows PCs with IPv6 ...

I have not tried disabling IPv6 from the registry will do that tomorrow AM

Any thoughts appreciated

Radiant (NCR) does suggest disabling this from the registry.

Disabling TCP/IP Version 6 (IPv6)
In order to disable IPv6, open the Windows Registry Editor, path out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/TCPIP6/Parameters, create a new DWORD value labeled DisabledComponents, and assign is a value of 0.

Dauphin2 thanks for your reply and yes, NCRadiantAloha does recommend disabling IPv6. I believe it was done previously but I am re-executing it in my lab now.

Your information is incorrect on how to disable IPv6. Please see the following microsoft KB:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852[/url]

There is additional useful information in the KB but here is just the registry info:
In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters Double-click DisabledComponents to modify the DisabledComponents entry.

Note If the DisabledComponents entry is unavailable, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
In the Edit menu, point to New , and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value .
Type DisabledComponents , and then press ENTER.
Double-click DisabledComponents .
Type any one of the following values in the Value data: field to configure the IPv6 protocol to the desired state, and then click OK :
Type 0 to enable all IPv6 components. (Windows default setting)
Type 0xffffffff to disable all IPv6 components, except the IPv6 loopback interface. This value also configures Windows to prefer using Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) over IPv6 by modifying entries in the prefix policy table. For more information, see Source and Destination Address Selection .
Type 0x20 to prefer IPv4 over IPv6 by modifying entries in the prefix policy table.
Type 0x10 to disable IPv6 on all nontunnel interfaces (on both LAN and Point-to-Point Protocol [PPP] interfaces).
Type 0x01 to disable IPv6 on all tunnel interfaces. These include Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP), 6to4, and Teredo.
Type 0x11 to disable all IPv6 interfaces except for the IPv6 loopback interface.​

I pulled that from the RKS, although I've never actually had to disable IPv6 this way when using Windows 7/2008, I always just uncheck it under the network connections, but in hindsight maybe I should be disabling it in the registry. I haven't had any noticeable issues with running Aloha and not disabling it in the registry. What kind of issues are you experiencing?

Bigblok - if you don't disable it in the registry then name resolution can default to IPv6 across your entire network. I believe at one site this caused failures to communicate between the server and clients (win 7 32 bit clients and server).

HOWEVER the rollout at that site was experiencing other problems and was under an incredibly tight schedule so it's entirely possible the issue was caused by some other component. At the time, a quick fix was needed so terminals and server were simply replaced until the problem with name resolution could be solved.

I know in the Win7 configuration documentation from Aloha they recommend disabling TCPv6 in the registry but it's possible they are not recommending using the 0xffffffff key (all terms and server were built according to the documentation from Aloha). BUT, again, it has been a while, it's possible the documentation is correct and a machine was misconfigured.

Sorry I have to move on at this point as the issue has been resolved so far as needed at this moment. If I have time later I'll look up the radiant kb on win7 terminal prep and see if it lists the key value I found worked best. IMHO YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back