Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP500 Phone30 Message Waiting Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilIVT

Vendor
Feb 3, 2006
US
I have an IPO500v2 R7.0 that has 6 - Phone30 modules. The client previously had a Nortel Option 81 using analog Astra phones w/ Message Waiting Lights. In order to get the lights to work I set up each "Extension" port w/ 101v. The lights started working after I rebooted the system and each module separately. This was mid-December 2011. Within the last 2 weeks lights stopped working randomly throughout. No specific module. Rebooted each module again. Some lights test ok at module but won't turn come on at desk. Any ideas? Thoughts? And no they are required to use analog. Thanks.

If they work at the module and not at the desk then the cabling is suspect, as that's the only thing you are changing :)

I was thinking that but there are still some working throughout the office. They were all working for months and recently stopped randomly.

That would still suggest the cabling, chances are that all the cables aren't going to go faulty at once, so they will be only here and there. If plugging into the port is OK and at desk not it can only be the cabling at fault, it's either been chewed by rodents and is starting to short slighty (users would normally notice this with aidio issues)or it's been badly done to start with, or run alongside power cables etc etc there are many possible issues with it, bit that's what it is I'd say :)

What I am worried is that the IPO isn't putting out enough power to handle this. I have had to use a "Viking RG10" in the past for various issues to amplify the power to analog devices such as paging, phones and messages lights. Wouldn't want to have to do for 150 phones.

Would need to be fairly long cable runs to make it work at system but not at desk though if it was power related I would have thought.

But they did work off of the Nortel Option 81 for many yrs w/o a hitch. Same cabling has been in place for yrs. Within 3mos IPO has trouble w/ the lights. I'm going to look to see if I have the latest 7.0 and maybe even get upgrade to 8.0 to see if that covers any possible gliches.

Could be power related I guess, I have seen a few analogue DECT phones that will not even ring on IPO and some PDQ machines that don't see the line due to the lower voltage, again both these had worked on previous system (Alcatel), but they just never worked on the IPO as oppose to slowly dropping off :)

Thanks for your input. There is a 7.0 patch I can try and maybe I can get them to do an 8.0 upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back