Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP400 Red light on front, wont talk to 403

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonBoyLee

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2005
GB
Hi There,

Our IP400 extension module stopped working the other day, no dial tone and not seen by the 403 unit. After reading around these forums and other peoples suggestions I hooked up to the serial port on the 403 and performed an AT-X, X2, X3 on the device. On next reboot I now get

POTS(8/16) Loader 0.9 DuSLIC
TFTP Poll Failed

The tftp line then repeats every 30secs or so. From my limited understanding I believe that in the BOOTP section of MANAGER I should have an entry for the MAC Address of the Module which points to an IP it should take and the name of the .bin file to load into it. I have added this and have manager open but nothing changes.

I would also just like to check I have the unit connected correctly. I am simply running a standard CAT5 patch cable between the 'Expansion' port on the 400 and 'Expansion 1' on the back of the 403. Can someone confirm this is correct?

Will the device have actually resorted back to a factory default IP, which I would need to put the laptop I am using onto the same subnet for this to work? Does the expansion link between the two devices automatically route IP data to the switch part (and hence the laptop) of the 403?

Is it possible to load the config via the serial cable directly to the 400?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a network chap and have now been given the task of fixing this.... so have a technical understanding, but could well be missing the basics of the Avaya software :)

Thanks in advance
Jon Lee

Oh lordy lord...

As far as I know the AT-X stuff is only meant for the IP Office control unit. I've never seen anything about what diagnostics/maintenance you can do via the DTE serial port on any of the expansion modules.

The expansion module doesn't have a mac address. In theory the control unit will request the bin file for the expansion module and then pass it to the module so only the setting for the control unit is important.

1) Absolutely the expansion module should only be connected to the control unit using the 1m blue cable that was original supplied with it, accept no other cable.

2) Start IP Office Manager and check that you can receive/send a config to/from the IP Office system. If that works okay, run the upgrade wizard (File | Advanced |Upgrade) and hope that its able to send the appropriate bin file across to the system.

I had the same problem, i got another expansion module and made all the recovery process and everything worked, but when i tried to recover the bad expansion it didn't work.

My conclusion was that maybe the expansion port of the expansion module was damaged after one year and 3 months working.

If the unit is rebooting every 30 seconds it cant find its control unit. A regular cat5 cable should work but make sure the cable is good. Try using one of the blue cables if you have one. If its rebooting every 30 seconds that also should confirm that it has something in its firmware. Not sure what but it has something. I have never had to run ATX codes on an expansion module either. That might not be a good thing..

Thanks for replying all.

I assumed AT commands on the expansion boxes were ok having read
This module is currently not being used hence me just 'having a go'. If it had been in production I might not have ;)

I have tried connecting (using the supplied blue cable) to all 3 Expansion ports on the 403 with the same result from all. I have tried with another standard purchased Cat5 cable with no change.

Im not sure if the 400 is rebooting or not, nothing changes on the front (light wise) but the Hyperterminal session hooked up to the serial port on it just shows the TFTP Poll message over and over. It doesnt show the "POTS(8/16) Loader 0.9 DuSLIC" bit though.

Following on from sizbuts advice what do I need to know/read about the upgrade route. The 403 is in production so I would want to understand and prepare myself before doing something to it that could leave it non functioning.

As mentioned before I have only just been given responsibility for this stuff so forgive me, any newbie pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back