Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP trunks VS IP phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDproductions

Vendor
Mar 28, 2003
US
I have a design question. I will be upgrading a customer to a BCM 400 (or 450 depending on their time frame) but i was wondering which would be best to use with a remote office, IP phones or a BCM 50 and IP trunks.

They currently have a MICS and have the digital phones in place. They want a centralized receptionist to handle all calls, local and remote offices. They have a 5Mb WAN connection between the offices.

I have another customer who uses IP trunks with their BCMs and they seem to work great. Then i have another customer who has a remote office with 10 IP phones that are working great. So what are some benefits of each and does anybody have a preference? Thanks for your opinions!

The 1 issue I would Keep in mind is 911 calling if you are going to use IP Sets at remote locations.

First, will it be long distance for the remote office to call in their area going through the far end BCM?...ie is it in a different city. I usually set up another BCM with local trunks and IP trunks. That way there is a fail safe if something happens with the WAN connection

They currently are in different cities, but same area code, they have local toll charges. They are using an MCK Extender currently but after 3 boxes, it is still not working. So they have a "Bat" phone for 911 calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back