Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Trunk QoS thru BPS and Passport 2430 Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayking

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2005
CA
Hi,

We have two sites with BCM linked thru a T1. The T1 link has Nortel Passport 2430 routers on both sides, and the LAN switches we use are BPS2000. The connection is something like this:

BCM-1 <-> BPS-1 <-> 2430-1 <-> T1 <-> 2430-2 <-> BPS-2 <-> BCM-2

The BPS are supposedly set up by the contractor to have QoS, but whenever there are large volume of data going thru the T1 voice quality drop. There's this whole mess about the contract between management and the contractor, and nothing has been or will be done to fix this by them.

What/where do I need to set to ensure that voice traffic would have priority?

Thanks in advance.

The contractor is simply not saying anything at all. As far as I can see, they set up QoS on one of the BPS, and that's it. QoS on that BPS is set by having all ports in one single group, IP filter defined for both BCM systems, and a policy with all matching traffic with Platinum service.

Thanks.

On the routers, you have a few options. You can do bandwidth allocation (which applies a percentage of bandwidth to certain apps that match the criteria on the routers), strict dequeuing (services the above mentioned criteria before other apps, can starve data), or DSQMS. DSQMS coupled with PPP fragmentation/interleaving seems to work best, especially if your data apps are chatty and/or sends out large packets that tend to stomp on the voice packets.

DSQMS configuration is rather involved, and I'm not certain that I understand it well enough to help you with it. There are several docs on the Bay RS CD that explain how it works/how to implement it. I do know that the config is done via BCC and not Site Manager. Maybe the folks in the Nortel Networking forums would be of more assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back